Those sugar cubes require a certain amount of delicacy. You need the appropriate container and suitable tongs for your sugar cubes and not just any will do.
Sugar must be stored in a specific way in order to prevent it from deforming or clumping. Even sugar cubes are susceptible to clumping as well as retaining strong odors. Did you ever wonder why sugar cubes are stored in glass jars? Or did you ever wonder how to pick out the best container and tong set for your sugar cubes?
In this article, we will share with you everything you should know about choosing the best small tongs and containers for sugar cubes as well as our top picks. You will find everything you need to know about sugar cubes, storing sugar cubes, and selecting the best tools for your sugar cubes.
Narrowing down your options could take an extensive amount of time, which is why we have done the work for you. We’ve put together several great options alongside valuable information.
This is your guide for everything sugar cubes as we dive into all of the details. We hope that you will keep reading to get all of the best information and check out our top recommendations for small tongs and containers for your sugar cubes.
A Sugar Cube Guide
Sugar can be made at home or purchased from a store. They are a mixture of sugar and sugar liquid that is shaped into a cube and solidified. The most common use for sugar cubes is to have them on hand to be added to warm beverages such as tea or coffee.
The warm liquids quickly dissolve the cubes, sweetening your drink of choice. There are some additional uses of sugar cubes as well. Sugar cubes can be colored and used as fun treats. You may have heard of using sugar cubes as treats for horses as well.
Whether you make your own sugar cubes or purchase them, you need an appropriate storage method for them. Since sugar cubes are commonly used in warm drinks, you want to keep them handy for use. Sugar cube containers are paired with tongs to prevent getting moisture in the same location as the cubes.
If you store your sugar cubes properly, they will last you for a long time with no concern of going bad or clumping together. The key components are to keep moisture away and to store them in a sealed container.
Choosing a Sugar Cube Container and Tong Set
There are several characteristics you may want to be mindful of when selecting your container and tong set for sugar cubes. Not all containers are made equally, and likewise with the tongs. While you don’t necessarily have to have a specific material, there are some things you may want to be aware of.
Here are some of the important things to pay attention to when shopping sugar cube containers and tongs.
- Set – Can you purchase a set? It is always best to purchase a set of both containers and tongs if you are able. Sometimes the sets can be hard to find.
- Design – Sugar cube containers can vary in material and design. There are glass containers that closely resemble high-quality crystal as well as stainless steel or even canister-type containers. Choose what you prefer.
- Lid – you want a container that properly closes and seals to maintain your sugar cubes. You need to be able to protect the cubes from moisture as well as store them in an airtight manner.
- Size – while you probably don’t need more than a few cubes in one sitting, you want a container that can store a reasonable amount of sugar cubes. Additionally, the size of the tongs is important. They must be small enough to grab cubes from the container.
- Durability – the last thing to keep in mind is that you want tools that will be durable and will last for some time. You certainly don’t want to have to worry about your tongs or container rusting when you’ve hardly got to enjoy it!
Sugar cubes containers and tongs do not have to be generalized. You can purchase and use whichever ones you like and best match your home décor. Just be sure to choose quality pieces for your uses.
Top Picks for Sugar Containers and Small Tongs
Because it is so challenging to find sugar containers and small tongs as a set, we are going to share with you our top picks of both tongs and containers. We will share a few of each.
|1.||American Metalcraft Sugar Cube Tongs||Stainless steel, shell design|
|2.||Newness Multi-Purpose Sugar Bowl||Large container, unique look, stainless steel|
|3.||Ceramic Sugar Bowl With Lid and Spoon||Ceramic, sturdy and durable, hinged lid|
|4.||Oisee Sugar Tongs||Stainless steel, rust-resistant, heart design|
|5.||HIC Harold Import Co Sugar Tong||Stainless steel, dishwasher-safe|
|6.||Godinger Crystal Symmetry Covered Jar||Durable crystal, slot for spoon|
|7.||Kook Large Sugar Bowl with Glass Lid||Dishwasher-safe, large, clear lid|
|8.||Elegance Silver-Plated Sugar Tongs||Attractive and simple, silver or gold|
One of the fun things for sharing this way is you can mix and match your small tongs with whatever sugar container you like. You’re not set into a specific pair, you can pick what you please of each and go from there.
1. American Metalcraft Sugar Cube Tongs
When you select sugar tongs you want them to be quality small tongs so they can comfortably reach into the container and grasp a sugar cube.
These small tongs from American Metalcraft are 4-inches long with small hands that perfectly hold a sugar cube.
These are a silver stainless steel material that comfortably fits in your hand. While these tongs are strong and durable but will also be gentle on your sugar cubes. They won’t crush the cubes unless you’re squeezing quite hard.
- Easy to clean
- Small tongs with a shell design
- Stainless steel
- Very affordable tongs with quality
- Can be difficult to close enough to grip your cubes
2. Newness Multi-Purpose Sugar Bowl
The sugar cube bowl from Newness is a versatile bowl that is perfect for many things.
When you’re not sugar cubes, you can fill this bowl with cookies, candy, nuts, and other tasty treats. The bowl is a modern design with a rounded bowl and roll-top lid.
This bowl is a bit larger than the typical sugar cube bowl but is still not overly large. It is a mere 6.3-inches tall by 5.4 inches wide, only slightly larger than a canned beverage.
This a durable stainless steel product that looks great and works well. It’s easy to use and close when you’re finished.
- Roll-top lid that is easy to open and close
- Versatile and can be used for more than just sugar cubes
- Durable stainless steel design
- Modern and fun design
- Larger than most sugar cube storage containers
- Quality is inconsistent on shape and size
3. Ceramic Sugar Bowl With Lid and Spoon
This sugar cube container is a beautiful white ceramic with a wooden lid on hinges.
The lid simply folds up to grant you access to the sugar cubes within. The top is divided for the lid design but is still plenty large to use with small tongs.
This sugar cube container is practical but also looks great. It even comes with a spoon, but we recommend finding tongs for your sugar cubes.
This container is small and ideal for your sugar cubes but could also be used for spices, granulated sugar, or even small candy pieces.
- Made with quality ceramic material
- Sturdy and durable so you don’t have to worry about breaking the container
- A unique design with a hinged lid
- Holds about 1 cup of substance
- Comes with a serving spoon rather than tongs
4. Oisee Sugar Tongs
These sugar tongs are so much fun! The tong portion is shaped in a heart cutout. They have a simple handle with “Gimme Some Sugar” engraved.
Lighten up your sugar cube needs and keep a smile every time you pull out these tongs. Plus, you get a 3-pack so you can even share.
These tongs are about 4 inches long and 2 inches wide at the widest part of the heart. These grip sugar cubes well and can be used for many other small things as well. Additionally, these tongs would make a great gift option or an accessory at a wedding or party when you need something light and fun.
- An unique design that is fun to use
- Quality-grade stainless steel
- Rust-resistant and easy to clean
- The perfect size for sugar cubes and other uses
- Hard to squeeze initially, but can be worked out with use
- Surface scratches easily
5. HIC Harold Import Co Sugar Tong
If you prefer a simple look that will go with any sugar cube container, look no further. These sugar tongs are simple but well-made for serving sugar cubes. They are made with quality materials and you couldn’t ask for a better option.
These tongs have a spring action design so the handle is easy to close, hold, and release. You can use these tongs for anything and they will match, but they are the perfect size for sugar cubes or to add to tea and flatware accessories.
- Stainless steel material
- Simple but sturdy design
- Dishwasher safe
- Spring action making the tongs easy to use
- Smaller than they appear, but still a decent size
- Works well for sugar cubes but does not grasp items tightly
6. Godinger Crystal Symmetry Covered Jar
If you like the crystal style of sugar cube containers, this is a great option for you. Many of those containers have become antiques and can be hard to find for purchase, but this gorgeous crystal container is perfect for those sugar cubes.
This jar is both simple and stylish and is the optimal size for sugar cube storage. It has an accompanying lid that matches the crystal container, with a slot for holding a spoon or even tongs. This set comes with a stainless steel spoon.
- Beautiful crystal that is durable
- Includes a matching lid and a slotted cutout for spoon or tongs
- Holds about a cup of substance
- Is well made with the perfect simple design
- Comes with a spoon when tongs work best for sugar cubes
- Lid does not have a handle for lifting easily
7. Kook Large Sugar Bowl with Glass Lid
This bowl is the ultimate sugar cube holder because it holds approximately 2 cups of substance and is larger in bowl size than most sugar cube containers. However, it is not overly large or gaudy.
This bowl has a simple stainless appearance, with a clear glass lid so you can easily see what is in the bowl and whether it might need to be refilled. This is a sleek and simple model but works perfectly for sugar cubes and anything else you might want to use it for.
- Dishwasher safe
- Larger bowl size without being too large
- Clear glass lid so you can easily see the contents
- Surface scratches too easily
- Accompanied by a spoon rather than tongs
8. Elegance Silver-Plated Sugar Tongs
If you need an elegant slice of style, look no further than these beautiful silver-plated sugar tongs. The tong portion features a slight curve much like a spoon but with tong handles that have a simple and elegant design.
Don’t let the elegance of these tongs fool you, they were designed to be tough and to maintain through wear and tear. In fact, they were designed to stand up to commercial daily use.
These are quite easy to clean and so simple to use. You won’t be disappointed in looks or quality with this option.
- Designed with an attractive simple elegance
- Built with high-quality commercial materials
- Durable and easy to clean and care for
- Also available in gold
- May emit an odor when washing from the finish
- A bit on the small side.
We trust that you have found this guide to be useful and informative. We also hope that we have provided quality options for small tongs and sugar cube containers. We strive to provide a variety of options, even in categories that may be hard to narrow down.
Below you will find a question and answer section that provides additional information that you might find proves to be useful for you.
Is It Better to Buy Sugar Cubes or Make Your Own?
You can do whichever you prefer. If you intend to personalize your sugar cubes or use food coloring or shapes to make them, we recommend that you find a do-it-yourself recipe for the best results.
How Much Sugar is in Each Sugar Cube?
Each sugar cube contains about 1 TSP of sugar, which is equivalent to about 4 grams. This is not an exact measurement as the cubes can vary in size, but is the typical average.
Are Sugar Cubes Better Than Granulated Sugar?
Sugar cubes are made directly from granulated sugar. The primary difference is that the cubes are set in a shape. If you are using cold beverages, using granulated sugar is the more suitable option, while sugar cubes are often preferred with warm beverages such as tea or coffee.
Can I Use a Sugar Container with No Lid?
You can use a sugar container with no lid, however, it is best to use a sugar container with a lid. The lid protects the sugar from outside substances such as moisture in the air or bacteria. The lid is a protective measure that also preserves the quality of the sugar cubes.
Up Next: The Absolute Best Sugar For Kombucha