Are you a morning person or do you have to have your coffee before you can even consider doing what needs to be done for the day? Coffee is an essential part of many people’s routines.
If you typically drink standard pour-over coffee (like your normal everyday coffee pots make) then you know choosing the right coffee beans can make a world of difference.
The right coffee beans lead to the perfect cup of coffee, and let’s face it, coffee is very important.
So how do you choose the best coffee beans for pour over coffee? There are so many different coffee beans available it’s impossible to know which ones you should choose.
Or if you like to switch it up, it’s challenging to determine which to try next.
We’ve narrowed your options down to the 7 best coffee beans for pour over coffee. We’ve tested and reviewed the options and come up with the best.
In the following sections, you will find an informative guide with all of the need-to-know details to help you choose your coffee beans.
Keep reading to find out all of the insider details on selecting your coffee beans and finding out how to choose the best ones!
7 Best Coffee Beans for Pour Over Coffee
|Coffee Bros. - Light Roast Coffee Beans
|100% Arabica, floral and citrus notes
|Real Good Coffee Co. - French Dark Roast
|100% Arabica, hearty with a tinge of sweet
|Bulletproof - The Mentalist, Medium Dark
|Dark cocoa, vanilla, caramel, almond, cherry
|Peet’s Coffee, Major Dickason’s Blend, Dark Roast
|Classic and bold flavor
|Kicking Horse Coffee - Smart Ass, Medium Roast
|Notes of chocolate, honey, and berry
|Hawaiian Gold Kona - Medium Roast, Gourmet Blend
|Rich and flavorful blend made in Hawaii
|Dunkin’ Donuts - Whole Bean Original Blend
|Classic and smooth
1. Coffee Bros. – Light Roast Coffee Beans
The Coffee Bros. Light Roast Coffee Beans was one of our top picks for this selection.
They are fresh and light with the ultimate flavor blend.
All of the ingredients are freshly harvested and the light flavor offers notes of honey and floral.
- 100% Arabica
- Light roast whole beans
- Flavor notes containing fruit, floral, honey, and citrus
You will be thoroughly impressed with the sweet flavor of your pour-over coffee when you use these beans. It has a very delicate tinge to the flavor that many coffee lovers would appreciate.
Because this is Arabica coffee, it smells great before, during, and after brewing and packs the extra flavor so you will feel fully satisfied with the finished results. Wake up with this sweet and delicious bean in your pour-over coffee pot.
- Also available in dark roast and espresso bean blends
- All ingredients are freshly harvested for ultimate fresh flavor
- Perfectly roasted to avoid any bitter flavor
- Coffee Bros. has a unique background story and strives to make the best coffee
- Light flavor
- Might taste slightly fruity due to the ingredients
2. Real Good Coffee Co. – French Dark Roast
If you value the flavor of the coffee you buy from your local donut shop or coffee shop, this one is definitely right for you.
Real Good Coffee has a bold and delicious flavor that will leave you feeling like you’re drinking gourmet coffee from your local coffee spot.
- 2-pound bag
- 100% Arabica
- Dark Roast Blend
This dark roast coffee bean is bold and dark with the perfect coffee flavor to kick-start your day. Your pour-over coffee will be hearty and sophisticated with a tinge of sweetness that eliminates any bitterness.
The coffee beans for this blend are harvested from Central and South America where they are then smartly packaged and imported to the USA for fresh roasting. The flavor is rich, including notes of dark chocolate and raspberry as well as a touch of spice.
- Hearty dark blend
- Also available in medium and light blends
- Love it or return it manufacturer guarantee
- As the name would suggest, this company has striven to make really good coffee for 30+ years.
- Freshness seems to be inconsistent amongst batches
- A bit on the pricy side
3. Bulletproof – The Mentalist, Medium Dark
If you’re looking for the best bang for your buck, look no further than this Bulletproof medium roast coffee that is packed with organic ingredients and provides mental benefits to boot.
This is a “clean” coffee for those who are pursuing healthy lifestyles.
- Flavor notes of dark cocoa, vanilla, caramel, almond, and cherry
- Organic beans harvested in Central America
- Medium-Dark Roast
Bulletproof is harvested solely from certified organic coffee estates located in Guatemala and other parts of Central America.
The beans are never exposed to various chemicals. When the beans are ripe, they are handpicked and then they follow a very strict process to meet Bulletproof’s standards.
These beans are clean and keto-friendly. They are a great source of all-day energy that also provides mental clarity among other benefits. The flavor is rich and delicious and you are protecting your ultimate health when you go for these pour-over coffee beans.
- No oily texture thanks to the quality roasting process
- Pair with Ghee and Octane Oil for amazing mental health results
- There are zero calories in this coffee
- Available in whole bean or ground and other roasts are available as well
- The flavor is a bit different and could take some getting used to
- Does not quite live up to its hype
4. Peet’s Coffee, Major Dickason’s Blend, Dark Roast
Affordable and flavorful, Peet’s Coffee packs a flavor punch with their dark roast blend.
These pour-over coffee beans are a mixture of quality beans from multiple bean-growing areas, giving it a great blend full of refreshing and bold flavors.
- 12-ounce bag
- Roast date marked on every bag
- Original craft coffee designed by Alfred Peet 50+ years ago
Peet’s takes pride in their development of a coffee roast that is unbeatable. Many companies have tried but they simply cannot figure out the secret of this roast. Their combination of beans from all over the world provides a unique flavor that is perfectly rich.
Peet’s is very careful to only provide the freshest ingredients using the best beans they can find to create their roast. This particular brand is very affordable but certainly is on par for quality similar to the pricy coffees.
- Rich and smooth flavor that is not bitter
- A unique blend with flavors from all over the world
- Available in light, medium, or dark roasts
- Great smell and great flavor
- Watch the “best by” dates carefully
- Inconsistent flavors
5. Kicking Horse Coffee – Smart Ass, Medium Roast
This Kicking Horse Coffee is perfectly designed to provide a bright flavor that will brighten up your morning and start your day on the proper note!
Kicking Horse has unique properties such as certified organic, Kosher, and Fairtrade. This coffee is also an affordable option.
- Notes of milk chocolate, sugar cane, honey, and berries
- 100% Arabica
- Organic, Kosher, Fairtrade certified
This medium roast coffee is harvested from areas of Africa and South America in areas that are environmentally friendly. The beans are then roasted to perfection right here in the Rocky Mountains.
If you want the perfect wake-up call stop your scroll now. These coffee beans work great for any type of brew and you will not be disappointed with your pour-over coffee. The company’s statement is that you will “wake up and kick ass” when you start your morning right with them.
- A bright and hearty flavor, you might not even need a full cup
- Available in a variety of roasts and blends
- Superior flavor with no bitterness
- Kicking Horse keeps your needs and the Earth’s needs in mind
- Beans come pretty dry with little aroma
- Somewhat of a dull flavor
6. Hawaiian Gold Kona – Medium Roast, Gourmet Blend
If you haven’t heard of or tried Kona coffee you are most certainly missing out.
Kona is a more expensive brand, but they make up for the cost with their delicious pour-over coffee beans that you will not ever want to switch from.
- Harvested and roasted in Hawaii
- 2-pound bags
- Small batch roasting every time
The Kona coffee brand is well known for offering an exotic coffee blend that is rich and flavorful. There really is no comparison to many other brands. All of the coffee is roasted in small batches to ensure the roast is done to perfection.
This medium roast coffee is rich and smooth and there is no bitter aftertaste. Every batch is of the utmost quality.
- Locally grown and roasted in Hawaii
- Follows measurable standards for sustainable coffee sourcing
- A blended whole-bean roast
- No bitter taste, great aroma
- Not 100% Kona, this is a blend
- Tastes more like a dark roast
7. Dunkin’ Donuts – Whole Bean Original Blend
Last, but certainly not least, we share the Dunking Donuts Original Blend. Dunkin’ Donuts in recent years has perfected their coffee roasts and has quickly become one of the top-selling coffees in the nation.
- 12-ounce bag
- Quality pour-over coffee beans
- Classic flavor
Dunkin’ Donuts went from a donut shop that sold coffee to a coffee shop that sold donuts and they did a great job. This original blend was their first style and is a delicious and hearty blend with a lovely aroma.
- Fresh and delicious
- Rich and aromatic
- Affordable coffee with superior quality
- No bitter tastes
- Whole bean blend is hard to find
- Not a strong coffee
We hope that this guide through the 7 best coffee beans for pour-over coffee has been helpful to you. We invite you to check out our question section for additional information.
How Is Pour Over Coffee Different From French Press?
Pour-over coffee is typically ground and then placed into a filter. Hot water passes over the beans and through the filter usually through a drip method.
A French press skips the filter and grinding steps and the flavor is often even stronger through the French press mode.
My Pour-Over Coffee Is Always Bitter
If you are experiencing bitter flavors no matter which coffee beans you use, you are most likely getting over-cooked coffee through your pot. You may be able to adjust a setting so that it steeps for less time.
Up Next: 7 Best Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Makers