Vodka And Mountain Dew – Do They Mix Well?
When it comes to mixing up interesting vodka cocktails, the usual suspects are usually soda, orange juice, cranberry juice, tonic, and tomato juice.
But what about Mountain Dew? Does this soda flavor mix well with the smooth taste of vodka?
Well, I bet you didn’t know that Mountain Dew was actually made specifically to be a mixer paired with hard liquors!
Originally it was created by two bottlers from Tennessee named Barney and Ally Hartman to improve the taste of whiskey.
Actually, the term Mountain Dew was a Southern and Scottish slang term for moonshine. So while you might not immediately think of this soft drink as a pair for vodka and other spirits, it’s actually an amazingly underrated mixer.
Even though Mountain Dew was specifically created to mix with whiskey, you might be wondering whether it can pair well with other liquors, like vodka.
So, do vodka and mountain dew mix well together? The answer is a resounding yes! In fact, there’s a cocktail called Rocket Fuel that is made solely out of vodka and Mountain Dew. Since vodka typically has a smooth taste, the mix tastes most strongly of Mountain Dew or any garnishes you add.
Read on to discover the perfect cocktail ratio of vodka to Mountain Dew, what they taste like together, what garnishes go well with this mix, and a simple recipe for a delicious cocktail to share whip up at your next party!
What Do Vodka And Mountain Dew Taste Like Together?
When you’re making a cocktail, you want to know what it’s going to taste like so you don’t waste your time and money on something that you end up pouring down the sink.
So let’s dig into what vodka and Mountain Dew taste like separately then combined.
Mountain Dew is a soft drink that is pretty sweet with some tangy citrus flavors. It’s got a bit of a lime, orange, and grapefruit note to it and is really crisp and refreshing.
The sweetness makes it nice to combine with alcohol since it can cut through the intensity of strong flavors.
Now vodka is a bit different since there’s so much variety depending on the quality and brand that you buy.
Like any spirit, it’s going to have a rather strong alcohol burn to it, but the other flavors can range from smooth and creamy to slightly sweet and citrussy.
While there isn’t one vodka flavor, generally, the higher quality the vodka, the smoother it will taste, and the better it will combine with Mountain Dew.
Since it is generally subtly flavored, it goes really well with the strong citrus sweet notes of Mountain Dew.
So, vodka and Mountain Dew pretty much tastes predominantly like Mountain Dew, with an undertone of alcohol and maybe a slight burn depending on the strength of your drink and the quality of your vodka.
What Ratio Of Vodka To Mountain Dew Makes The Best Cocktail?
Now that you know how well vodka and Mountain Dew taste together you’ll want to know the best ratio of each to put together to make a delicious Rocket Fuel cocktail. It’s incredibly simple and tastes great.
The best ratio of vodka to Mountain dew is 1.5 ounces of vodka to 1 cup (250 ml) of Mountain Dew.
If you like a stronger drink, then you could up it to 2 ounces of vodka per 1 cup of Mountain Dew. You’ll probably want to add a good amount of ice cubes or crushed ice to keep it cool while you sip away.
A tall glass would be a great choice to make this cocktail since it will leave some room for ice, but you can use whatever glass you have on hand or prefer to hold.
It’s not like some other cocktails, such as the Moscow Mule, that must have a specific glass.
Rocket Fuel Cocktail Recipe
- 1.5 ounces of vodka
- 1 cup of chilled Mountain Dew
- 3-4 ice cubes
- Lime slice for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a tall glass and stir with a spoon or stir stick.
How To Make The Mountain Cider High Cocktail
If you want to get a little creative with your mixture there’s another cocktail made with vodka and Mountain Dew called the Mountain Cider High. It’s a combination of vodka, apple cider, and Mountain Dew.
In this cocktail, the predominant flavor is the apple cider, with just a little citrus note from the Mountain Dew peeking through.
It’s ridiculously easy to make since the measurements for each ingredient are the same: 1 part vodka: 1 part apple cider: 1 part Mountain Dew
So depending on how large of a drink you’re making that could be about 1-2 ounces of each ingredient.
While the classic cocktail doesn’t have a garnish, a squeeze of lime would go great with this cocktail along with some large ice cubes. This drink would likely taste best in a short glass.
Mountain Cider High Cocktail Recipe
- 1 ounce of vodka
- 1 ounce of apple cider
- 1 ounce of chilled Moutain Dew
- 2 ice cubes
- 1 slice of lime, orange, or lemon for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a short glass and squeeze your preferred citrus into the mix.
- Stir with a spoon.
How To Make The Best Jungle Juice
Another fun cocktail to make with vodka and Mountain Dew is called Jungle Juice. This mix includes the addition of Kool-Aid to give it a fruitier flavor. There are no rules about what Kool-Aid you have to use, so go with your favorites.
Some flavors that would pair well with Mountain Dew are:
- Strawberry Kiwi
- Tropical Punch
- Cherry Limeade
- Pink Lemonade
You could absolutely try making it with some other flavors, but I’m not sure how well they would compliment the citrus flavor of the Mountain Dew.
To make your Jungle Juice you’ll need a ratio of about 1 liter of Mountain Dew: 1 packet of Kool-Aid: 1 pint of vodka.
I suggest mixing everything together in a large punch bowl. Just be careful because the Kool-Aid and Mountain Dew will fizz a bit when combined, so make sure your bowl is big enough to prevent overflow.
You can then chop up fruit for a garnish. Some that I like are:
- Sliced oranges
- Sliced lemons or limes
- Cubed watermelon
- Halved strawberries
- Cubed pineapple
Best Jungle Juice Recipe
- 1 pint of good quality vodka
- 1 packet of your favorite Kool-Aid mix (see suggestions above)
- 1 liter of chilled Mountain Dew
- Fruit garnishes: cubed pineapple, watermelon, strawberries, limes, lemons, oranges, grapefruit, etc.
- In a large punch bowl combine the vodka, Kool-Aid mix, and Mountain Dew. It will likely fizz when you combine the Mountain Dew and Kool-Aid together, so make sure your bowl is large enough to prevent spillover.
- Add ice cubes, and slices of your favorite citrus, fresh berries, cubes of watermelon or pineapple, or any other fruit garnish you like.
How To Make Pink Lemonade Vodka Punch
If you love the citrus flavor of Mountain Dew and want to up the deliciousness a couple of notches, then this Pink Lemonade Vodka punch should definitely be on your list.
It’s made from a combination of pink lemonade concentrate, Mountain Dew, citrus vodka (plain would work too), sliced lemons, and raspberries.
The pretty pink color and fun garnishes are sure to impress at your next gathering, while the bright flavor will have everyone coming back for more.
Since the ratios are a little less precise in this cocktail, I’ll type out the instructions for you below.
Pink Lemonade Vodka Punch Recipe
- 1 cup of citrus or plain vodka
- 1 12-ounce container of pink lemonade concentrate
- 1 liter of Mountain Dew
- 1 lemon, cut into slices
- 1 cup of raspberries
- To make this cocktail you’ll want to find a big pitcher.
- Then add 1 cup of citrus or plain vodka and 12 ounces of frozen pink lemonade concentrate.
- Stir it all together, then add a cup or so of ice cubes.
- Fill the pitcher the rest of the way with your Mountain Dew.
- Stir in a few slices of lemon and a handful of raspberries. Have some on a plate to garnish individual drinks.
What Garnishes Go Well With Vodka And Mountain Dew?
There are tons of garnishes that you can combine with vodka and Mountain Dew to enhance the flavors. Since the citrus notes of the soda go so well with other fruits, I’ve included a non-exhaustive list of potential garnishes below.
- Orange slices: to highlight the subtle orange flavor in Mountain Dew
- Grapefruit slices: another choice to bring out another layer of citrus in your cocktail
- Lime and lemon slices: to complement the other flavors
- Berries: strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries go great with citrus!
- Watermelon slices
- Pineapple slices: to bring another flavor of the tropics to your drink
- Peach slices: Or try adding a splash of peach schnapps for a spin on the Rocket Fuel cocktail.
Up Next: 9 Best Black Garlic Fermenters