I am a firm believer that soup is the best dish in the world. Simple and humble yet packed with amazing powers that nourish the soul and the body.
How can soup be improved? By adding delicious dumplings filled with finely chopped shrimp and the most delicious seasonings!
What Is Wonton Soup?
Wonton soup is a Chinese soup made with chicken broth and filled wontons.
The soup itself is a basic chicken bullion broth that is rich and flavorful with hints of spring onion. The addition of spring onion really elevates the soup and gives a nice twist.
Wontons are the Chinese equivalent of Italian tortellini or ravioli: delicious dough wrapped around a meat or seafood filling.
Wontons can be filled with pork, beef, chicken, and shrimp. Shrimp works perfectly as it provides a subtle seafood flavor that pairs amazingly with the warm chicken broth.
They are firm yet soft and juicy, seasoned with ginger and chopped spring onions.
The wrappers are slippery, thin, and supple. Wontons are incredibly popular as a snack, side dish, or meal.
You can easily find wonton wrappers at the store, or you can make your own.
How To Make Homemade Wontons
The store-bought wonton wrappers are a real time-saver, but if you want to try making your own, here is the simple recipe:
- Combine 2 cups flour and ¾ tsp salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 egg and ½ cup water and stir until your dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough on a flour-dusted kitchen surface and knead until smooth.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into three parts.
- Dust the surface with cornstarch and roll out the dough to a 20×10-inch rectangle.
- Cut 5-inch wontons and place them aside.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
You can freeze the wonton wrappers, just make sure to dust them with cornstarch so they do not stick together.
How To Make Shrimp Wonton Filling
- It all starts by choosing your protein. I have decided to show you my shrimp wontons as I like these the best. Use peeled and deveined shrimps and make sure you chop them finely.
- Seasonings are your best friend. I use ginger, spring onion, soy sauce, and chicken bouillon powder. These are my secret weapons to make wontons irresistible.
- Add some cornstarch to your shrimp. Stirring a bit of cornstarch into your shrimp will make them stick together while making the inside of your wonton super tender. It is the secret to juicy and tender wontons.
How To Fold Wontons
There are many ways you can fold wontons and, no matter how you choose to fold them, it is easy!
Here is how I like to fold wontons:
- Moisten the edge of the wonton. I dip my pinky finger in water and line the edges.
- Place the shrimp filling in the center of wonton wrapper.
- Fold the wonton into triangles and pinch to seal the edges.
- Take two of the triangle corners and pinch them together of the wonton.
- There you go, your first wonton is folded!
If you have a lot of wontons to make, start a wonton-folding party. Sometimes my friends and family gather together to make loads of wontons for a big batch of delicious wonton soup.
It is a bonding moment with lots of laughs, and in the end, we are all treated with a delicious wonton soup.
How To Make Shrimp Wonton Soup
Gather your ingredients. Chop the shrimps and place in a bowl.
Add seasoning ingredients and stir to combine.
Place the wonton in front of you. Gently dip your pinky in the clean water and go around the edges.
Place the 1 teaspoon of shrimp filling onto the wonton wrapper.
Make a triangle shape by folding the wonton wrapper over the filling.
Fold the edges and pinch in front of the wonton.
Cook the wonton in the water until they start floating on surface.
Heat the chicken broth and add spring onion.
Place in wonton and serve soup immediately.
For the wontons:
- 10oz. peeled and deveined shrimps
- 2 spring onions, chopped (use for the filling light part only)
- 18 wonton wrappers
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- ½ tsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the soup:
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Chopped spring onion (green part only)
- Chop the shrimps and place them in a bowl.
- Add seasoning ingredients and stir to combine.
- Place the wonton in front of you. Gently dip your pinky in the clean water and go around the edges. Place the 1 teaspoon of shrimp filling onto the wonton wrapper. Make a triangle shape by folding the wonton wrapper over the filling.
- Fold the edges and pinch in front of the wonton.
- Cook the wonton in the water until they start floating on the surface.
- Heat the chicken broth and add spring onion.
- Place in a wonton and serve soup immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 209mgSodium: 2441mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 28g