Nutella balls look like a luxury treat and they are, but truth to be told, they are dead simple to make.
Every Nutella ball, or Nutella truffle as I sometimes like to call them, is a masterpiece.
When made and coated with chocolate powder, cacao, or ground hazelnuts, each of the balls looks like something from the French dessert shops and tastes like something out of an Italian coffee shop thanks to that rich hazelnut chocolate from the Nutella.
Luckily, these are easy to make, so you can make a bigger batch and store them in a fridge. You can serve them later or secretly enjoy them alone for days.
So let’s get started and make these delicious treats!
Nutella is the best and probably the most famous hazelnut spread in the world. The Nutella is an irresistible combination of hazelnuts and chocolate.
You already know these two are a winning combo already, but when you turn them into a spreadable paste, you know that is the something that will the world go crazy for.
Nutella is a versatile ingredient and can be placed on or used in pretty much anything sweet.
There is an enormous range of desserts and pastries you can make with Nutella: Nutella baklava, Nutella ice cream, and Nutella brownies are just some of the delicious ways to use this spread. In fact, I challenge you to find a dessert recipe you can’t use Nutella in.
Because of its versatility, it makes for a decadent and easy way to whip up truffles or dessert balls at home.
And if you, like me, are a huge fan of Nutella, I’m sure you’ll also love my Nutella cheese tart recipe!
Which Chocolate Should I Use?
In addition to Nutella, you will need a little more chocolate. You have some choice here, but certain types of chocolate will work better than others.
Here are different types of chocolate and their properties so you can choose the best one for your treats:
Sweet Dark Chocolate
Also known simply as dark chocolate, this is the best choice you can make for Nutella balls. Dar chocolate does not contain milk solids, but has a higher amount of sugar and it still has some sweetness to it.
Milk chocolate, besides containing cocoa butter and chocolate liquor, has either condensed milk or dry milk solids. It is much sweeter than dark chocolate and has a lighter color.
You can use milk chocolate for this recipe, too, but do know that the chocolate flavor will be less intense.
Also known as bitter or baking chocolate, this is a pure chocolate liquor, composed solely of ground cocoa beans. It is used as a base for any other chocolate, except white chocolate.
Although it smells and looks like a chocolate, it has a bitter taste and is not recommended for consumption on its own. It is best if combined with sugar to make it more palatable.
I would not recommend this for the Nutella balls, as it is too bitter.
This is another chocolate you can find easily in stores. Bittersweet chocolate is the type of chocolate that is at least 35% cocoa solids. This chocolate has a deeper flavor than sweet dark or semi-sweet bars.
However, the sugar content in this chocolate is not regulated, so the chocolate from one brand may be sweeter or bitter than the other. Again, I would not recommend choosing this one.
Tips and Tricks When Making Nutella Balls
Here are a few other tricks you’ll want to know before making this Nutella balls recipe:
- Prepare Your Ingredients Early: This recipe calls for butter, but it must be softened butter. Make sure you take it out of the fridge ahead of time.
- Keep Your Chocolate Warm: Make sure your chocolate is warm so it can combine with Nutella nicely. If the chocolate gets too cool, the Nutella from the room temperature may chill it even more. In this case you will not have a smooth mixture to work with.
- Wear Gloves: Although it sounds like a weird thing to do, wearing gloves keeps your truffles off your hands. This mixture is a bit sticky and will stick to your hands. Also, the warmth of your hands may start to melt the truffles, so use food grade gloves for rolling these.
- Do a Proper Double Boiler: A double boiler is something you can make with a sauce pot and a heat proof bowl. Bring an inch or two of water to a boil in a sauce pot. Place the bowl with heavy cream a butter over a simmering water until the butter is melted. Add the chocolate and continue to melt until you have a smooth mixture. Remove the bowl and stir in Nutella.
How to Make Nutella Balls
Set up the double boiler.
Place the heavy cream and butter in a heat proof bowl. Set the bowl over a simmering water.
Add chopped chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted.
Stir in vanilla and Nutella. Pour the mixture into a shallow baking dish.
Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Divide and roll the chilled mixture into 10 truffles. If the mixture is a bit too firm for rolling, let it stand at room temperature for 10 minutes first.
Place the chocolate powder and cocoa powder on plates. Roll the truffles through the chocolate and cocoa.
Serve and enjoy or store them in the fridge.
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8oz. chopped dark chocolate
- 2/3 cup Nutella
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate powder, cocoa powder, for rolling
- Set up the double boiler. Place the heavy cream and butter in a heat proof bowl. Set the bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Add chopped chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has melted.
- Stir in vanilla and Nutella. Pour the mixture into a shallow baking dish.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Divide and roll the mixture into 10 truffles. If the mixture is a bit too firm for rolling, let it stand at room temperature for 10 minutes first.
- Place the chocolate powder and cocoa powder on plates or wide shallow bowls. Roll the truffles through the chocolate and cocoa.
- Serve and enjoy.
You can serve these in small paper or tea cups to help them look as sweet as they taste.
Store your Nutella balls in the fridge.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 34mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g
Up Next: Oreo Biscuit Cake Recipe