Bagel Bites are an all-time favorite snack for many people. Being a fusion of pizza and bagels, these delicious bites come in a range of varieties to fit anyone’s taste.
According to the manufacturer’s instructions, you can cook Bagel Bites in the oven, in a toaster oven, and in the microwave.
But you can also cook Bagel Bites in the air fryer too!
How do you cook Bagel Bites in an air fryer? The general instructions for cooking Bagel Bites in the air fryer are the same as cooking them in the oven or a toaster oven. It will take you around 5-6 minutes to cook the bite-size snacks in the air fryer at 375°F.
In this article, we will tell you the step-by-step instructions for cooking Bagel Bites not only in an air fryer but also in the oven, toaster oven, and microwave.
You will also learn important things about Bagel Bites and how to make them yourself.
What Are Bagel Bites?
Bagel Bites are bite-size snacks produced by merging the idea of bagels and pizza. These mini snacks were invented by Bob Mosher and Stanley Garkzynski in 1985.
Once tennis partners, Mosher and Garkzynski established a successful business and then it to Heinz in 1991. Kraft Heinz is now the owner of Bagel Bites.
There are six Bagel Bite varieties. Cheese & Pepperoni is perhaps the most popular one.
But you can also choose from the other five flavors – Cheese, Sausage & Pepperoni, Mozzarella, Three Cheese, Extreme Nacho, and Supreme.
Aside from the above-mentioned varieties, you can also buy Breakfast Bagel Bites produced by the same brand. These include bites with typical breakfast ingredients – eggs, cheese, bacon, etc.
Bagel Bites come in different size packages – with anywhere from 9-40 pieces in a pack. The snacks come in a crisping tray wrapped in plastic and placed in a box that has the nutrition information of the bites and cooking instructions.
How To Store Bagel Bites
You should put Bagel Bites in the freezer as soon as you bring them home. This makes Bagel Bites very long-lasting. They will keep well in the freezer for at least 12 months.
The snack will most likely remain safe for consumption past that time too. However, remember that the flavor and texture of the food deteriorate with time.
So, you can eat Bagel Bites past the ‘Best by’ date printed on the box. It is merely the manufacturer’s estimation of how long the product will retain its best flavor and texture qualities.
If you use only a few of the bagel bites in the package and need to return the rest back into the freezer, make sure to store the remaining bites so that they don’t get freezer burn.
You can wrap the box or the bites with cling wrap or transfer the frozen bagel bites into an airtight bag.
If you have had the Bagel Bites longer than the date on the package or haven’t been storing it properly, check for signs of spoilage before cooking the bites.
Discard the bagel bites if you notice discoloration or if the bites are heavily freezer-burnt.
Eating bagel bites that have been freezer-burnt is not unsafe. However, the bites won’t taste as good and will have an off-putting texture when cooked.
3 Things You Should Know Before You Cook Bagel Bites
Bagel Bites are a very easy snack. It seems like there is nothing complicated about cooking and enjoying them. But there are a few things you should know before cooking Bagel Bites.
- No matter which cooking method you choose to use for the Bagel Bites, make sure that they reach 165°F. You can use a food thermometer to check this. After a few times of cooking Bagel Bites, you will know when they are properly cooked just by looking at them.
- The baking time for Bagel Bites may vary from variety to variety. Some Bagel Bites varieties, including the Supreme and Mozzarella types, require a couple more minutes to cook. We recommend you check the cooking instructions on the box before baking the bites.
- A serving of Bagel Bites consists of 4 pieces of these tasty snacks. Keep this in mind when cooking Bagel Bites for your family or guests.
Can You Cook Bagel Bites In An Air Fryer?
An air fryer is a popular cooking appliance especially for people who want their fried foods to be healthier. You don’t need to add any oil to the air fryer. It makes the food crispy thanks to the hot air circulating around the food.
So, an air fryer makes fried food healthier. But it doesn’t make any difference when it comes to Bagel Bites as you don’t cook Bagel Bites with oil in anyway.
So, yes, you can totally cook Bagel Bites in an air fryer.
How To Cook Bagel Bites In An Air Fryer
Cooking Bagel Bites in the air fryer doesn’t make them taste any different. But it does make the bites crunchier as the hot air in the air fryer cooks the inside of the food while making it crispy from the outside.
Here are the step-by-step instructions for cooking Bagel Bites in an air fryer.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F.
- Remove as many Bagel Bites as you need from the packaging.
- Place the Bagel Bites in the air fryer. Do not crowd them. Put them in the air fryer basket in a single layer making sure to leave some space for them so that the bites cook evenly.
- Air fry the bagel bites for 5-6 minutes. Do check on the pizza bites after 5 minutes to make sure you are not overcooking them.
- Remove the Bagel Bites from the air fryer and let them sit for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Bagel Bites Air Fryer Time
As mentioned above, you need to leave the bagel bites in the air fryer for 5-6 minutes. However, you need to remember that not all air fryers are created equal.
The temperatures of different air fryers may vary which means that the cook time will vary too.
For this reason, we recommend you check on the bagel bites after 5 minutes. Depending on your air fryer, you may need to take the bites out or leave them to further cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
Other Cooking Methods For Cooking Bagel Bites
An air fryer is not the only method to cook Bagel Bites, which is great as not everyone has an air fryer at home!
And in fact, while the air fryer works well for cooking Bagel Bites, it is not the best method for cooking them according to the manufacturer.
You will find cooking instruction for Bagel Bites in the microwave, oven, and toaster oven on the box of these frozen snacks.
Additionally, as the manufacturer recommends, consider the performance of your appliance as the cooking time and temperature may vary from device to device.
Here are step-by-step instructions for cooking Bagel Bites in the microwave, in the oven, and in a toaster oven.
Microwaving is the best cooking method for Bagel Bites if you want your mini pizza snacks to be soft. If your microwave is 1100-watts, it will take you only 2 1/2 minutes to cook the 9 pieces of Bagel Bites.
Here is how to make Bagel Bites in the microwave.
- To start, remove the crisping tray from the box. Remove the plastic wrapper and make sure the bites are properly arranged on the tray.
- Put the crisping tray in the microwave with the shiny side up.
- Turn on the microwave setting it on HIGH.
- Let the Bagel Bites cook for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Take the bites out and let them sit for 60 seconds before serving.
For Bagel Bites that have a crispier finish compared to the bites cooked in the microwave, the oven is a great option. Here’s what you should do to cook Bagel Bites in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F While you prepare the frozen bites, the oven will reach the desired temperature.
- Remove the Bagel Bites from the box and from the crisping tray. You can use the crisping tray in the microwave but never in the oven.
- Line your baking sheet with a layer of parchment paper. Even if you are not using parchment paper, there is no need to oil the pan.
- Arrange the Bagel Bites on the baking sheet leaving some space in between the pieces. Doing this ensures that the bites cook evenly.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven. Place the sheet neither too low nor too high. If you put the baking sheet too high, the top of the bites will burn while the bottom part will remain uncooked. The opposite will happen if you put the baking tray too low.
- Bake the Bagel Bites for the recommended time. To be on the safe side, check on the bites a couple of times while they cook to make sure they are not burning. It will take 9 frozen Bagel Bites around 14 minutes to cook in the oven.
- Once the Bagel Bites are fully cooked, remove them from the oven. Let them sit for 60 seconds before serving.
If you are cooking only a few pieces of Bagel Bites, using a toaster oven is a good way to cook them. Here’s how to cook Bagel Bites in a toaster oven.
- Preheat the toaster oven to 400°F.
- Remove the Bagel Bites from the box and from the crisping tray they come in.
- Place as many Bagel Bites on the toaster oven tray as you need. As toaster oven trays are typically rather small, you may need two baking sessions if you are going to cook many pieces.
- Bake 9 Bagel Bites for around 16 minutes.
- Once your turn off the toaster oven and take out the baking tray let the bites stand for 60 seconds before you serve them.
Can You Make Your Own Bagel Bites?
If you find commercially manufactured bagel bites to be too unhealthy or you simply don’t find a flavor combination you like, you can make your own bagel bites with just a few ingredients.
What you’ll need:
- Mini bagels
- Pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Pepperoni slices
- Other toppings of your choice
How To Make Bagel Bites
Making your own bagel bites is certainly more time-consuming than baking the ready-made frozen snacks. And still, the process is fairly easy.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Prepare the rest of the ingredients while the oven reaches the desired temperature.
- Slice the mini bagels in half. So, each mini bagel makes two bagel bites. You will need only 4 mini bagels for 8 bagels bites (2 servings).
- Line the baking sheet with a layer of parchment paper and arrange the mini bagel slices on the sheet. You can skip the parchment paper. However, as you will be adding cheese to the bagels, the paper will help you avoid washing the baking sheet.
- Bake the mini bagels for around 5 minutes or until the tops begin to brown.
- Remove the bagels from the oven and add the toppings. Add the pizza sauce, some shredded mozzarella cheese, pepperoni slices, and any other topping of your choice. You can skip the pepperoni and add vegetables instead, such as sliced peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms. You can make all-cheesy bagel bites too if that is what you like.
- Put the bagel bites back into the oven. Use the middle rack so that the bites cook evenly from both the top and bottom.
- Cook the bagel bites for 10-15 minutes. The cooking time may vary depending on your oven. So, check on the mini bagels after 8-9 minutes to make sure you are not overcooking them.
- Remove the homemade bagel bites from the oven, let them cool for a minute, and serve.
Are Bagel Bites Good For You?
Bagel Bites are nostalgic but they are certainly not healthy. These mini pizza-like snacks contain a lot of calories and very little nutrients.
For example, Cheese & Pepperoni Bagel Bites contain 190 calories per serving (4 Bagel Bites). The bites are high in sodium though they contain 7 grams of protein per serving.
Though the ingredients of Bagel Bites differ from variety to variety, all of them contain unhealthy ingredients and additives.
If you love Bagel Bites, don’t stop eating them as a snack from time to time. However, make sure to not overheat them. Incorporate some fresh and healthy snacks into your diet to balance things out.
Up Next: The 7 Best Oranges For Juicing