Miracle Whip is one of those condiments that are just incredibly useful and versatile in the kitchen. They can be used for all manners of recipes and snacks including sandwiches and salads, just to name a couple.
That said, it would be understandable why people would want to put Miracle Whip in the freezer. After all, you can never have too much a good thing. It would also be great if you always had some within arm’s reach since you never know when you might get that craving.
Can you freeze Miracle Whip? Miracle Whip is made from freezer-friendly ingredients, like cornstarch and egg yolks, which makes it a good candidate for freezing. You can freeze the entire jar or portion out individual serving sizes. Like most condiments, Miracle Whip can remain frozen for up to 3 or 4 months.
We shall delve deeper into this answer here. So, be sure to keep reading!
Miracle Whip Overview
Miracle Whip has a distinctive and unmistakable signature flavor. Its sweet, tangy, and spicy flavor makes it a favorite for a wide array of people. This is unsurprising because it is one of Kraft’s top-selling brands.
Most people use this condiment as a spread. It also helps bind the sandwiches and serves as the perfect backdrop for the interplay of different flavors.
Its tangy flavor profile also makes it perfect for salads as it helps complement the subtle flavors of the mixed vegetables.
That said, you can never really run out of things to do with Miracle Whip, so it would be extremely handy if you always had it in your kitchen.
Miracle Whip Storage Guide
That said, understanding how to properly store this handy ingredient is an extremely crucial aspect of food safety. After all, the last thing you want is to get yourself or your family sick from eating a bad batch.
That said, we will be tackling some of the different ways you can store Miracle Whip.
Is Miracle Whip Refrigerator-Friendly?
Yes, it’s perfectly safe to stick your Miracle Whip in the fridge. However, it won’t last as long as it would if you stored it in the freezer.
If you choose to follow the route of the refrigerator, it’s best to consume your Miracle Whip within one month of opening it.
Can You Store Miracle Whip in the Pantry?
While it may be tempting to just leave a jar of Miracle Whip in the drawers, it would not be wise to do so. This is because your pantry will be unable to keep your Miracle Whip in the ideal temperature.
The dressing will undoubtedly go rancid in a short period of time. So, no, don’t do it.
Why is Miracle Whip Freezer-Friendly?
Now, you may be wondering why Miracle Whip is freezer-friendly while other similar mixtures like mayonnaise aren’t.
The answer to that is simple: it all has to do with the difference in ingredients used to make the products. In particular, the lower oil levels that come with Miracle Whip not only help differentiate it as a salad dressing but also make it freezable.
It is vital for everyone to know that oil does not freeze well. That said, unlike Mayonnaise, which is made up of at least 65% vegetable oil, the oil content of Miracle Whip is low.
These subtle changes to the formula not only give you a different tasting condiment, but it also gives you something that reacts differently to the freezing process. Unlike Mayonnaise, Miracle Whip will not break apart during thawing, as it has greater structural integrity than its counterpart.
Herein lies a subtle but crucial difference: instead of relying on high levels of vegetable oil to thicken and emulsify the mixture, Miracle Whip makes use of cornstarch and eggs to give it that distinctive texture, something made even more apparent through a taste test.
In addition to this, Miracle Whip also uses less cane sugar and instead contains significant levels of fructose corn syrup.
Miracle Whip Freezing Guide
Now, let us talk about the proper freezing procedure when it comes to Miracle Whip. You should always remember that you have two options.
- You can stick to its original jar and just put it directly in the freezer.
- You can divide the contents of the Miracle Whip jar into smaller portions and store those individual jars.
Regardless of which method you choose, know that there are rules you need to follow.
Always take note of the expiration date stated on the jar. Like with every other food product, it’s best not to use Miracle Whip after it has gone past its expiration date.
Freezing A Jar of Miracle Whip
The first method of freezing Miracle Whip is straightforward:
- All you need to do is stick the jar of Miracle Whip into the freezer and take it out when you need it.
- However, there are a couple of drawbacks that come with this approach.
- It is extremely easy to forget that you put the jar in the freezer in the first place. If this happens, then you may end up wasting a perfectly good batch.
- The cycle of freezing and reheating can only be done twice, if at all. So, this may be impractical if you are not planning on using the whole batch quickly.
The second method of freezing Miracle Whip:
- You can divide the contents of the container into several smaller jars. Ideally, you should divide them in terms of serving portions. This means that you will only need to reheat a particular amount every time.
- This way, you can avoid unnecessary wastage. This will take more time to do. You will also need to properly label each jar and indicate the date of freezing as well as the Miracle Whip’s expiration date for reference.
- There is also the matter of freezer space that may arise, so be sure to pick compact and airtight containers when following this route.
Benefits of Freezing Miracle Whip
Now, you may be wondering, what do I stand to gain with the fact that Miracle Whip can be frozen?
Well, a lot, if you think about it – especially as a home chef. The science of freezing has to be one of the most underutilized innovations of our time. This is something you should remedy now.
The fact that you can freeze Miracle Whip opens a myriad of possibilities, just waiting to be explored. We have listed down some of the benefits of freezing Miracle Whip that came to mind.
- Make Sandwiches in Batches – There is no greater convenience than taking out delicious food you made in advance and heating it when the cravings hit you. For instance, you can make several Miracle Whip-based sandwiches and stick them in the freezer. This can include favorites like chicken and tuna sandwiches.
- Controlled Portions – As the adage goes: too much of a good thing can be bad for you. That rule certainly applies to Miracle Whip as well. Luckily, you can circumvent this problem by diving your dressing into several portions instead of just putting it into a single container. This way, you need only heat a certain amount. This is both convenient and helps avoid wastage.
- Save Money – Having ready-made Miracle Whip-based snacks on the ready will save you money down the road. Instead of ordering take-out or going down to the deli, all you need to do is swing by your kitchen.
- Cut Down Food Waste – One of the worst problems households have is rampant food wastage. By freezing vital ingredients like Miracle Whip, you can avoid this problem altogether. After all, by controlling your portions, you are the one who gets to decide how much you want to use at a particular moment.
- Unparalleled Convenience – This is perhaps the most important benefit that comes with freezing Miracle Whip. You can rest easy knowing that it is there when you need it.
There you have it, everything you need to know about freezing Miracle Whip. We presented a comprehensive view of the popular condiment that we hope can come in handy.
We also explained why it would be smart to freeze your Miracle Whip when you get the chance. Whether you want to freeze a whole jar or divide it into batches, the procedure is simple enough.