Onion powder is something that everyone should keep in their kitchen. It can be used to flavor dishes, or as a replacement for fresh onion. Many different recipes call for onion powder, from soups to stews to potato bakes.
So what is the best onion powder to use? The best onion powders are ones that have the depth of fresh-tasting onion flavor which only comes from premium onions and high-quality dehydrating methods.
We’ve found our favorites and want to share them with you so that next time a recipe calls for onion powder, you’ll already have the best option on hand.
The 5 Best Onion Powders of 2019
To make finding the best onion powder easier, here is a list of the best 5 onion powders of 2019:
1. McCormick Granulated Onion
McCormick has a wide range of different onion powders to choose from, some with added flavors and spices, but this simple onion powder packs a real punch.
Made from premium quality granulated onion, this onion powder tastes as close to the real thing as possible. It is certified Kosher by the Orthodox Union as well.
The onion powder can be used to sprinkle over meat before grilling or broiling and can be used in pasta, salad and on potatoes for an extra depth of flavor.
To use the granulated onion powder, you can either sprinkle it over the meat, rehydrate it by soaking it in water for 15 minutes or make a paste by mixing with water.
The large tub of onion powder is perfect for frequent use in the kitchen, so you will always have some on hand when the need arises.
Choose from the basic yet delicious plain onion powder, or try one of the other varieties from McCormick.
2. Amazon Brand Happy Belly Onion Powder
This onion powder has a rich savory onion flavor, and can be used in burgers, chicken, meatloaf, salmon, pasta, vegetables, pizza, salad dressings, soups, sauces, stews, and dips, pretty much anything imaginable in the kitchen!
It can be used as a substitute in almost all recipes that call for fresh onions. It is Kosher certified.
The simple shaker is easy to use to sprinkle over food, and you are able to control how much you use per each meal.
For a rich onion flavor, you cannot go wrong with the Happy Belly brand from Amazon.
3. 365 Everyday Value Organic Onion Powder
365 Everyday Value use quality, natural ingredients for their products, and the onion powder is no exception.
The onion powder is made to the highest standards, and the company prides itself on only providing customers with the best quality possible.
Certified organic and certified Kosher, this onion powder is perfect to use for those who are conscious about only using the best ingredients.
The onion powder has a wonderfully natural taste and can be used as a substitute for fresh onion, or as an additive to provide a richer, deeper flavor to many different dishes.
With the market leaning more towards organic products, this is a great basic ingredient to keep in your pantry.
4. Simply Organic Onion White Powder
Grown and made in the United States, this organic and Kosher onion powder packs a punch when added to any meal at home.
Full-flavored, the premium-grade onion powder is all organic and has one of the freshest tastes possible.
It can be easily substituted for fresh onion in different meals and can be sprinkled over different meat, poultry, fish or vegetables as extra flavorful seasoning.
To further project a positive environmental footprint, the onion powder is sold in glass jars, not in plastic. The organic onion powder has a great taste and will be a good addition to any kitchen.
5. Badia Spices Onion Powder
Badia Onion Powder comes in a 9.5oz tube, which is more than enough for many different cooking sessions at home.
Badia Spices understand that onion is one of the most important ingredients in the kitchen, and it has a characteristically strong flavor when raw, which is hard to replicate.
This onion powder manages to capture the essence of fresh onion and is perfect to use for meats, poultry, seafood, and all other types of side dishes.
The large container is so convenient to keep at home, to whip out to use when your meals need an extra kick of flavor.
What Onion Powder Is Used For
To make the most out of your onion powder, it helps to know all the different uses it has:
- Onion powder can be used as a substitute in a recipe that needs fresh onion powder. Roughly one tablespoon of onion powder is equal to around half a cup of chopped fresh onion. All you need to do is add the onion powder to the dish and stir it in.
- Vegetable, meat and bean soups, chili, gumbo, chowder or beef stew all taste so much richer when onion powder is added, with the onion powder delivering a deep, bold onion aroma and flavor.
- Onion powder is a good flavoring additive for ground meat, burgers, meatloaf, skillets, and chili. A teaspoon of onion powder is the right amount of flavoring for one pound of meat.
- Onion powder is also great when used in dry rubs. For ribs, you can use onion powder, garlic powder, thyme leaves, cumin, parsley flakes, and cayenne or red pepper. Rub the dry rub onto the ribs and leave it to sit for an hour or so.
- Potato bakes and onion powders go great together. Whisk some onion powder into sour cream for a baked potato, or use it in a potato gratin. Onion powder can also be stirred into mashed potatoes along with milk and butter.
- Roast meat such as chicken, lamb, beef or pork can taste great with a sprinkle of onion powder before being popped on the oven.
- With some olive oil, onion powder can be added to roasted vegetables to make them taste delicious.
Benefits of Onion Powder
As onions themselves have great benefits, it would make sense that onion powder would share the same benefits as well. Here are some reasons why onion powder is good for you:
- Onion powder is packed with nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. It is high in vitamin C which helps to regulate the immune system, help with collagen production and with tissue repair.
- Onions contain antioxidants and other compounds that help to fight inflammation and reduce cholesterol levels. The anti-inflammatory properties can also help to reduce high blood pressure and reduce blood clots.
- Onions and onion powder can help to control blood sugar. Compounds such as quercetin and sulfur have antidiabetic effects.
- Onions contain fiber and prebiotics which help to promote optimal gut health.
- Onion powder is low in sodium but still has an intense flavor. It is a great substitute for salt in many recipes.
- One teaspoon of onion powder contains 9mg of calcium, which helps to play a role in creating and maintaining strong bones and teeth.
- Being low in fat and calories, onion powder is great to control your diet while still having tasty meals.
Can I make my own onion powder?
You can make your own onion powder at home. To do so, you will need to spread onion pieces on a tray and heat them in an oven until dried or dry them out in a food dehydrated.
Once the onions have cooled, you can grind them in a coffee grinder, a spice mill, a food processor or a mortar and pestle to form a fine powder.
Can onion powder spoil?
If stored properly, onion powder can remain at its best quality for up to 3 years.
Commercially packed onion powder does not necessarily spoil, but it can lose potency over time and it will not flavor the food as well as it should. The storage and best by date will be indicated on the packaging for easy reference.
What can I use instead of onion powder?
One tablespoon of dried minced onion can equal ¼ cup of minced raw onion.
What is onion salt?
Onion salt is used to season foods more than it is used in the cooking process. It is a mixture of onion powder and salt, mixed with an anti-caking agent that prevents the onion salt from clumping up.
Onion powder on its own does not contain a salty taste, so the addition of salt and onion powder can create a wonderful seasoning that can be used on so many different meals, salads, meats, and soups.
The Best Onion Powder
There is no doubt that onion powder should be a must in all kitchens, whether used for seasoning, for a salad sprinkle, as a dry rub or to add flavor and richness to soups or stews.
The above 5 onion powders are some of the best out there, and you should definitely consider purchasing one or two to keep in the cupboard for when your meals need a pick-me-up.
Not only does onion powder add flavor and richness to a dish, but it has some great health benefits that make it all the more worthwhile to use often.