Leftover burritos can taste just as good as fresh ones if you reheat them properly.
The best reheating methods for burritos are the ones that heat the wraps evenly and make the tortilla nicely crispy. The air fryer does both of these things.
How do you reheat a burrito in the air fryer? To reheat a burrito in the air fryer, place the burrito in the preheated air fryer and cook for 5 to 10 minutes until the burrito is thoroughly heated. You may or may not wrap the burrito in foil when air frying it.
This article is a detailed guide to reheating burritos in the air fryer.
Read on to learn how to reheat regular and breakfast burritos in the air fryer, if you can reheat a frozen burrito in the air fryer, and more.
Can You Reheat A Burrito?
Burritos are one of the most popular Tex-Mex dishes. These Mexican wraps feature a flour tortilla with a variety of fillings, including meat, beans, rice, sour cream, salsa, cheese, etc.
Whether you have made the burrito yourself or ordered it from your favorite restaurant, allowing burrito leftovers to go to waste is certainly not a good idea.
You can, of course, eat burritos cold if that is what you like. But it is a good idea to reheat leftover burritos before you eat them.
You should only reheat leftover burritos as long as they haven’t been sitting at room temperature for longer than 2 hours. If it is hot outside, say 90 degrees or higher, burritos can’t be left out longer than an hour.
Reheat and eat burritos that have been stored in the fridge for no longer than 4 days. Before you reheat leftover burritos, always check them for any signs of spoilage.
How Can You Reheat A Burrito?
You can reheat burritos in a few different ways. Burritos, especially the ones that are thicker, need to be reheated all the way through.
You can reheat burritos in the oven, in a skillet, in a toaster oven, in the microwave or even the grill.
Each of these reheating methods produces slightly different results.
The oven is one way to reheating burritos evenly.
To reheat a burrito in the oven, wrap it in foil and pop it in for about 15-20 minutes at 350°F. To make the tortilla crispy again, you can take the burrito out of the foil for the last few minutes.
The only drawback of this reheating method is that it takes some time.
Reheating burritos in a skillet is another great way to make the tortilla wrap crispy and lightly charred. But you need to flip the burrito every couple of minutes to get it evenly heated all the way through.
The skillet method may not work for burritos that are too thick. By the time the very middle of the burrito gets warm the tortilla may burn.
As for the microwave, it is a quick and easy method to reheat burritos. But it’s not the best. It either makes the burrito soggy or dries it out. It also won’t always heat the burrito evenly if it’s too thick.
But what’s the best way to reheat a burrito?
Can You Reheat A Burrito In The Air Fryer?
You can reheat a burrito in the air fryer. In fact, the air fryer is one of the best ways to reheat a burrito.
If you do everything right, the burrito will heat up evenly. The air fryer will also give the tortilla a nice crispy texture. Another benefit of reheating burritos in the air fryer is that this method is relatively quick.
How To Reheat A Burrito In The Air Fryer
The instructions for reheating a burrito in the air fryer are very straightforward. Leftovers are supposed to be the easy meal after all!
Here is how you reheat a burrito in the air fryer:
- Remove the burrito from the fridge and allow it to come closer to room temperature. Doing this makes the process of reheating burritos more efficient.
- In the meantime, preheat the air fryer to 300°F.
- Unwrap the burrito carefully to remove any fillings that are best left cold like avocado or lettuce. Set these aside on your plate and re-wrap the burrito.
- Place the burrito in the air fryer basket. You can reheat a few burritos at a time so long as they are not touching each other. Never stack the burritos when reheating them in the air fryer.
- Spray or brush neutral-tasting, oil that’s safe for frying on the burritos to achieve a nice crispy exterior. If you don’t want it crispy, skip the oil and wrap the burritos with aluminum foil before putting them in the air fryer.
- Air fry the burritos for 7-8 minutes. Depending on the thickness of the burritos, you may need to air fry them a little longer.
- Flip the burritos every 2 minutes to get them evenly heated.
- Remove the burritos from the air fryer when they are fully heated.
- Serve the reheated burritos with your favorite sides, such as guacamole or pico de gallo.
How Many Times Can You Reheat Burritos?
We recommend you reheat burritos only once.
While reheating burritos multiple times is safe as long as you follow all the safety rules, the texture of the wraps will suffer greatly.
Can You Reheat Breakfast Burritos In The Air Fryer?
Yes, you can reheat breakfast burritos in the air fryer just as you do regular burritos. Place the breakfast burrito in the air fryer basket, brush it with oil, and cook for a few minutes on each side until the burritos are warm enough.
Breakfast burritos are one of the most popular types of burritos eaten in the US.
What makes a breakfast burrito different is that it is made with typical breakfast items, including eggs, ham, bacon, tomatoes, and cheese. (Breakfast burritos may also contain potatoes, salsa, onions, and other typical burrito fillings.)
But none of these differences affects how well you can reheat the burrito in the air fryer. So you can certainly reheat your breakfast burrito in the air fryer.
Can You Reheat A Frozen Burrito In The Air Fryer?
Burritos freeze quite well. It is a good idea to store leftover burritos in the freezer if you want to extend their life to up to three months.
But reheating frozen burritos can be tricky as they tend to come out soggy.
The best way to reheat frozen burritos without making them soggy is by using the oven. Using the air fryer is the second-best method for reheating frozen burritos as you are able to get the tortilla wrap crispy and nicely charred.
If possible, leave the burrito in the fridge for a few hours to start thawing before you reheat it.
How To Reheat A Frozen Burrito In The Air Fryer
Here’s how to reheat a frozen burrito in the air fryer if you don’t have time to let it thaw first:
- Set the air fryer to 400°F.
- Remove any foil and parchment paper wrappings from the burritos.
- Place the frozen burritos in the air fryer basket. If the burritos are so big they’re touching each other, air fry one burrito at a time.
- Start with cooking the frozen burritos for 15 minutes. As the burritos are frozen, they take more time to reheat.
- Flip the burritos every 5 minutes.
- Keep checking on the burritos to prevent the tortilla wraps from burning. Remove the burritos when they are nicely crispy and heated through.
You can speed up the process of reheating frozen burritos in the air fryer by thawing the burritos in the microwave first.
3 Tips For Reheating Burritos
No matter which method you choose, here are three more tips to help you achieve great results every time you reheat a burrito.
- Use a knife to check if the burrito is hot enough. Reheating burritos can be a little tricky due to the thickness of these wraps. Additionally, because of the way air fryers work, the burrito may feel very hot to touch while being cold in the middle.
To make sure the burrito is hot all the way through, we recommend you always use the knife method to check if they are fully heated. To do this, stick a knife into the burrito. If the burrito is properly heated through, the knife will come out warm.
- Don’t unwrap the burrito before reheating it. You may think that unwrapping the burrito before reheating it is a good way to reheat all fillings evenly. Don’t do it. Once you unwrap and reheat the burrito you won’t be able to wrap it back again.
- Keep the cold fillings separate. If you are making burritos in advance and know you will be reheating them later, don’t add any cold fillings yet. These include shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream, etc. If you are ordering burritos and not making them yourself, you can ask to get these fillings separately.
Can You Reheat Chimichangas In The Air Fryer?
Chimichangas are just deep-fried burritos. So the air fryer works great for reheating chimichangas as it keeps the fried tortilla wraps crispy.
To reheat chimichangas in the air fryer set the air fryer to 320°F and cook the deep-fried tortillas for 4 minutes or until they are fully heated.
Aside from the air fryer, you can reheat leftover chimichangas in the oven or in a toaster oven. We don’t recommend you reheat fried burritos in the microwave as doing this will make them soggy.
If you want to save time by reheating your food in the microwave, microwave chimichangas for 30 seconds to quickly heat them up, and then transfer them into the oven for half the time. This will maintain the crispy texture of the wraps.