Chicken wings are a great, easy, and cheap option to for anyone looking to load up on protein for game night or just looking to feed a crowd.
Still, the chicken wings are sometimes a bit basic on their own. They need some love in the flavor department.
The ideal solution is the dipping sauce – the dip. Dips are a great companion with chicken wings. They really elevate the flavor to another level.
Dips not only bring out the flavor but also a luscious creaminess if they’re done right and it turns even the plainest chicken wings into a gourmet treat.
Making the big batch of crispy chicken wings over the weekend and serve with five different sauce that will allure everyone to try them out.
The Secret to a Good Dipping Sauce
Truth be told, there is no big fuss when you make the dipping sauce. The key in making one is just in blending the ingredients well and allowing the flavors to develop by letting them rest in the fridge.
Plus, cold dips pair perfectly with hot chicken wings.
Why These Dips?
Each dip you will find here is carefully chosen and created to bring out the best from the chicken wings. When you look at these ingredients, we think you’ll understand why. If not, try tasting them!
- Creamy Mayo Dip: This sauce is a mix of mayonnaise, ketchup, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce. All these ingredients pair amazingly with chicken, but one beats them all. The mayonnaise gives the desired creaminess, the ketchup sweet balance to the garlic powder, while the Worcestershire sauce brings deep flavors that complement chicken perfectly.
- Sour Cream Dip: Also known as the dip best served cold. This sour cream dip is made with sour cream (regular or low fat), chopped parsley, dill, lemon juice, and garlic powder. It’s an easy dip, but perfect when served with wings. The herbs in the dip lend it a kind of Mediterranean touch and the lemon juice gives it a note of freshness.
- BBQ Dip: You’re almost certainly familiar with BBQ sauces already. It’s practically the number one choice for grilling chicken, and most other meats. Making a BBQ sauce typically requires a little more time, but with a dip it is a completely different thing. You will just need to blend up ketchup, sugar, vinegar, mustard, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and some water. The BBQ dip has the same taste just like the BBQ sauce, but it is easier to make. Mix all in a bowl, or blender, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Buffalo Sauce: This is one of the easiest dips to make. It features mayonnaise, honey, and buffalo sauce. Whisk it up in a mixing bowl, refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving, and serve with hot chicken wings. The honey in the sauce will balance the flavors and make the sauce just sweet enough to reduce the spicy kick.
- Honey Mustard Dip: Sweet, creamy, and with a bit of that bitter, spicy flavor coming from the mustard, this dip is my go-to every time I make the chicken wings. This dip is just amazing and pairs perfectly with any type of grilled or baked chicken, and especially with the chicken wings.
With these dips you cannot go wrong. They are all tested and taste amazing and with several varieties, everyone will find their own favorite. Still you can always increase or decrease some of the ingredients and adjust the dips to your palate. Everyone’s a winner!
How to Store Leftover Dips
If by any chance – which I doubt – you have leftover dip, you can easily store it in the fridge. Cover the dip with a piece of plastic wrap and place in a fridge. It will keep perfectly okay for 3-5 days.
Freezing dips is generally a bad idea. They will not freeze well, but you can repurpose these in many other ways. For example, dips can be smeared over a pizza, used for salads, or just serve with tortilla chips. They are too good to be thrown away!
How To Make a Chicken Wing Dipping Sauce
Why make one tasty dipping sauce for your chicken wings when you can make five? Let’s look at each of these great wing sauces step by step.
Creamy Mayo Dip
Gather your mayonnaise, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder.
Whisk all ingredients, as listed, in a bowl.
You should have smooth and shiny dip.
Serve and enjoy.
Sour Cream Dip
Gather your sour cream, garlic powder, dried dill weed, parsley (chopped), lemon juice, plus salt (to taste).
In a bowl, whisk together the dip ingredients.
Refrigerate the dip for 30 minutes before serving.
Gather brown sugar, ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, paprika, hot sauce, plus salt and pepper (to taste).
In a bowl, or a food blender, combine all ingredients.
Blend on high speed until smooth, or whisk in a bowl until smooth and until the sugar is dissolved.
Gather your mayonnaise, hot sauce, and honey.
In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
Refrigerate for 10 minutes before serving.
Honey Mustard Dip
Gather your sour cream, mustard, honey and Worcestershire sauce.
Whisk all ingredients in a bowl.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
- Creamy Mayo Dip: ¾ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup ketchup, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp garlic powder
- Sour Cream Dip: ¾ cup sour cream, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp dried dill weed, 1 tbsp chopped parsley, 1 tbsp lemon juice, salt, to taste
- BBQ Dip: ¼ cup brown sugar, ½ cup ketchup, 2 tbsp water, 1 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp mustard, 1 tsp paprika powder, ¾ tsp hot sauce,salt and pepper, to taste
- Buffalo Dip: ¾ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup hot sauce, 2 tsp honey
- Honey Mustard Dip: ½ cup sour cream, ¼ cup mustard, ¼ cup honey, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Creamy Mayo Dip
- Whisk all ingredients, as listed, in a bowl.
- You should have smooth and shiny dip.
Sour Cream Dip
- In a bowl, whisk together the dip ingredients.
- Refrigerate the dip for 30 minutes before serving.
- In a bowl, or a food blender, combine all ingredients.
- Blend on high speed until smooth or whisk in a bowl, until smooth and the sugar is dissolved.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes before serving.
Honey Mustard Dip
- Whisk all ingredients in a bowl.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1/3 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 619mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 5g
Up Next: Can You Marinate Frozen Chicken?