Chicken parm has all the makings of a delicious and satisfying dish: breaded chicken, hearty tomato sauce, and lots of cheese.
When you’re making a batch of chicken parm it’s always a good idea to make enough for leftovers so that you can have a quick and easy meal the next day.
You might also bring home some leftover chicken parm from a restaurant, but wonder the best way to reheat it so the cheese melts and the chicken doesn’t get too dry.
Today we’re going to look at the best ways to reheat your leftover chicken parm for maximum deliciousness.
So, how do you reheat chicken parm? The best way to reheat chicken parm is in the oven. At 350°F, place the chicken parm in an aluminum-covered oven-safe container with a small amount of olive oil lining the bottom and bake for about 15 minutes. You can also try reheating it in the microwave, a skillet, or an air fryer.
Read on to discover where chicken parm came from, the best directions to reheat it, how to properly store it in the fridge or freezer, and creative uses for all of your leftovers.
What Is Chicken Parm?
Chicken parmesan or chicken parmigiana, is a dish made from breaded chicken breasts that are covered in a hearty tomato sauce then topped with either mozzarella, parmesan, or provolone cheese.
Once combined, the chicken parm is baked so that the cheese melts and the sauce warms.
It was created in the 1900s by Italians living elsewhere in the world.
It might have its origins in two other classic Italian dishes: melanzane alla parmigiana, which is a breaded eggplant dish, and cotoletta, which is a breaded veal cutlet that’s generally served without sauce or cheese.
Whatever the origins, this dish has become a beloved classic the world over!
How To Reheat Chicken Parm In The Microwave
If you’re in a hurry, reheating your chicken parm in the microwave is your best bet since it doesn’t take as long.
It won’t have the same texture as chicken parm reheated in the oven, but you’ll still get your melty cheese and warm sauce, so it’s a great choice. Follow these steps to reheat:
- Find a microwave-safe plate.
- Place the chicken parmesan on the plate. If you have a microwave-safe cover, you may want to place it over the chicken to keep your microwave clean.
- If possible, set your microwave to medium heat and set the timer for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute, check to see whether the cheese is melting and the center is warm. If not, place it back in the microwave for another minute.
- Continue this process until your chicken reaches your desired temperature.
- When done, take out of the microwave (be careful- the plate will be hot!) and enjoy!
How To Reheat Chicken Parm In The Oven
If you have a little more time on your hands and want to keep the crispiness of your chicken parm, the best way to do it is to reheat it in the oven.
This method will allow the cheese to melt and the breading to crisp up again. Follow the steps below to reheat your chicken in the oven.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Find an oven-sfae dish that is deep enough to allow you to cover your chicken with aluminum foil. I like using pie plates or small cake pans.
- Pour a small amount (half a teaspoon should do) of olive oil in the bottom of the pan and spread it around to cover the bottom.
- Place your chicken parm in the dish and loosely cover it with aluminum foil.
- Put the chicken in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, until warmed through. You may want to remove the aluminum foil after 10 minutes so that the cheese can fully melt.
- Once warmed through, remove your chicken parm from the oven and enjoy.
How To Reheat Chicken Parm In An Air Fryer
Air fryers are becoming a popular kitchen tool, and they are great for reheating leftovers quickly while keeping the crispy texture you would get from the oven.
It is important that you don’t reheat your chicken parm while it’s still frozen in the air fryer. Let it defrost first then follow the steps below.
- Preheat your air fryer at 360°F.
- Once preheated, place your chicken parm on the air fryer-safe baking trays or racks and put them in the air fryer.
- Heat for about 5-7 minutes or until your cheese is crispy and melted and the chicken is warmed through.
- Remove from the air fryer and enjoy.
How To Reheat Chicken Parm On A Stovetop
If you want to reheat your chicken without turning on the oven, while still keeping it relatively crispy, the stovetop is the way to go. It’s a pretty easy and quick method if you follow the steps below.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat. Cast iron will give you the best crunch to your chicken parm, but any skillet will work.
- Once heated, add some cooking oil to the pan and let it heat up for about 30 seconds.
- Place the chicken in the skillet with the cheese side facing up. You might want to turn the heat down to a low medium. Cover the skillet with a lid or baking sheet.
- Let the chicken warm through for 3-5 minutes. If you have a really hot stovetop, you may want to keep the temperature quite low to prevent burning the bottom of the chicken.
- Once the cheese is melted and the chicken is warmed through you can remove it from the heat and enjoy.
How Long Can You Keep Leftover Chicken Parm In The Fridge?
When it comes to leftovers, its always nice to have something you can grab for a quick and easy meal. But how long can you keep your chicken parm in the fridge before it goes bad?
A general rule of thumb is that it should last about 3-5 days in the fridge if it is stored in an airtight container.
If you want your chicken parm to last a little longer and not become soggy, you can store the chicken and the sauce separately. This only works if you haven’t already baked the chicken and sauce together.
Whenever you store something in the fridge, it is helpful to put a piece of masking tape on the container with the date and contents so that you know when something has passed its use by date.
Can You Freeze Chicken Parm?
Maybe you made a huge batch of chicken parm or you just don’t want to have it again in the next few days.
You might be wondering whether you can freeze leftover chicken parm. Yes, you can freeze chicken parm. It will last about 9 months in the freezer if properly stored.
Follow these steps to freeze your leftover chicken parm:
- Let your leftover chicken parm cool completely. I will often put it in the fridge overnight before freezing.
- Once cooled, you can gently wrap each individual piece of chicken parm in plastic wrap.
- Transfer the wrapped chicken parm pieces to a freezer bag. Press out all the excess air in the bag and tightly seal it. The air is what can give your chicken parm freezer burn, so don’t skip this step.
- Write the date and contents on a piece of masking tape and stick it to the freezer bag.
- Put the chicken parm in the freezer and use it within 9 months.
Note: If you want to reheat your chicken parm it is best to let it thaw beforehand. Take chicken parm out of the freezer the night before you intend to cook it and let it thaw in the fridge.
Other Ways To Enjoy Chicken Parm
There are several ways you can enjoy your chicken parmesan depending on what you’re in the mood for.
The classic way to enjoy it is served as the main component of you dish with a couple of sides. But if you want to get creative try one of these variations:
- Choose your favorite bread and make a delicious chicken parm sandwich. If you want to use a sub sandwich bun, try cutting your chicken parm in half lengthwise so it fits in the bread. You can eat it plain, add some extra sauce, or pop some of your favorite sandwich veggies on top.
- Slice it and serve it over your favorite pasta. You can toss your pasta in a little olive oil and garlic (raw or roasted) and cut your chicken parm into slices served over top. It tastes great over spaghetti, linguine, penne, or macaroni.
- Make a chicken parm bake. If you have leftovers you want to use up, you can chop the chicken into cubes, combine it with penne or macaroni, and more tomato sauce. Top it with more cheese and bake at 350°F until warmed through and the cheese is bubbly.