Everybody needs a good set of oven mitts for their kitchen work. Oven mitts are great to have on hand any time that you are working with hot pans from the oven, grill, or even stovetop.
Unfortunately, most oven mitts take a “one size fits all” approach and let’s be honest – one size does not always fit all!
If you have large hands you are well familiar with the struggle of finding oven mitts that are plenty large to comfortably fit over your hands and protect your hands when you need it the most.
Are you tired of working with oven mitts that just don’t fit right or having your hand sticking out the bottom of the mitt? We are here to help! It’s time to stop the struggle and find oven mitts that fit large hands well without having to try multiple sizes or learn to deal with the small mitts that simply do not fit.
Don’t worry, you won’t have to sift through hours of information and reviews or try out oven mitts that simply won’t work. We’ve done all of the sifting and sorting and found several great options when it comes to oven mitts for large hands.
Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about selecting your oven mitts and to find out the best oven mitts for large hands.
Tips for Choosing Oven Mitts
When it comes to choosing the best oven mitts you want to be familiar with various qualities that might be found in oven mitts and determine which of these qualities are most important to you.
You also want to determine which qualities you are not willing to budge in. For instance, do you prefer an oven mitt that is easy to clean or do you specifically want something with a great grip? Maybe you want both of these qualities?
In the following sections, we will walk you through several qualities you should consider as you peruse oven mitts just to give you a general idea of how different oven mitts can vary from one another.
It would seem like choosing an oven mitt should be a simple task, but there are really many varying factors that could affect your oven mitt choice and we want you to be fully informed!
- Grip – an oven mitt is really only as good as its grip. You can’t very well enjoy and use your oven mitt if you can’t get a good grip on your hot item. A good grip will provide you with proper safety and allow you to work with ease and no worry about dropping items.
- Comfort – while you need your oven mitt to safe and grip well, you want it to be comfortable. This refers back to having an oven mitt that is the proper size for your hand. You want something that feels great and natural on your hand and doesn’t bother you to wear or use.
- Cleaning Requirements – an oven mitt that is hard to clean is not a usable oven mitt at all. Beware of what it might take to clean your oven mitt and whether or not it will be a complicated process. Chances are you will get food on your oven mitt so knowing how easy it will be to clean could be a vital aspect.
- Flexibility – your oven mitt needs to have a certain aspect of flexibility in order to work to the best of its ability. You need to be able to move and conform your hands to safely be able to grab on to whatever you might be picking up with your oven mitt.
Some other miscellaneous traits you may consider as you are shopping for the best oven mitts for large hands are the design, style, and material factors.
These are typically important to people as they select items, but keep in mind your goal is to fully protect your hand from hot items in the kitchen.
It may also be important to consider what kind of materials you will be handling. If you need oven mitts for cast iron, we have another article waiting for you.
Common Oven Mitt Materials
There are three common materials that oven mitts are made of. The most common materials that you will find in oven mitts are silicone, cotton, and rubber. Which one you choose will most likely be a matter of your personal preferences.
Let’s discuss each material just a bit further.
Silicone – Silicone is a very flexible material that is similar to rubber. The plus side to silicone is that it is not stiff or immobile but rather allows you to firmly grip items and move your hands as needed. Silicone oven mitts can withstand up to 500 degrees for 30 seconds at a time. (Love silicone kitchen products? Check out our list of the best rubber cutting boards.)
Cotton – the most common material in oven mitts is cotton. Cotton is a lightweight, breathable fabric and therefore is most comfortable for quick moves and lower temperatures. Essentially, cotton oven mitts are designed to withstand about 200 degrees for up to 10 seconds. It might be necessary to supplement your cotton oven mitts with an additional potholder.
Rubber – rubber is the 3rd and not as common material in oven mitts. However, it is probably one of the higher quality materials. With rubber oven mitts you can grasp your extra hot item for extended lengths of time and not worry about slipping or dropping. Rubber can cause your hands to sweat, but they offer ultimate protection.
The 3 Best Oven Mitts for Large Hands
Now that you know some of the basic information about qualities and materials, let’s get down to business and discuss the top 3 recommendations we have to choose the best oven mitts for large hands:
|1.||Homewe Extra Long Professional Silicone Oven Mitt||BPA-free silicone, heat-resistant to 450F|
|2.||Grill Armor Extreme Heat Resistant Oven Gloves||Insulated fabric w/silicone striping, heat-resistant to 932F|
|3.||Big Red House Oven Mitts with Terrycloth Lining||Cotton w/silicone striping, heat-resistant to 480F|
Let’s check them out, shall we?
1. Homewe Extra Long Professional Silicone Oven Mitt
The Homewe extra-long silicone oven mitts are great for every size hand.
Your large hands will fit snugly into the gloves and they will not swallow small hands. These oven mitts are 14.7 inches long to provide additional superior coverage for your arms as well.
- 14.7-inches long
- Protects up to 450 degrees
- Non-skid grip
Your hands and arms will be well protected with these affordable and high-quality oven mitts. The extended length provides extra coverage and the silicone material withstands significant heat.
You will enjoy the flexibility and firm grip that you get with these oven mitts. The textured design on the palm allows you to better grip items without the risk of slipping or dropping.
- Silicone material is FDA-approved and BPA-free
- Heat resistant silicone up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Extra-long and large enough for hands of all sizes
- Recommended to use with lower heat than advised to withstand
- Inside begins to fall apart too soon
2. Grill Armor Extreme Heat Resistant Oven Gloves
Large hands struggle no more with these Grill Armor Heat Resistant Gloves. These are labeled as one size fits most sizing, but the hand size is incredibly large.
In fact, they have designed a lady size to differentiate because the gloves tend to be large.
- Available in red, black, blue, or gray
- Resistant up to 932 degrees Fahrenheit
- Easy to Clean
If you’re a fan of the oven mitt, you will really enjoy these oven gloves. They provide superior heat resistance and are made to fit large hands well. The glove design makes the wear extremely comfortable.
These gloves are a double layer material that withstands intense heat. The grip is reinforced with silicone layers to prevent slipping issues.
- Large hand capable with a long cuff
- Thick glove with lightweight and flexible fabric
- Insulated using Nomex and Kevlar comparable materials
- Your hands get very warm
- The liner inside tends to come out with your fingers and must be pushed back in
3. Big Red House Oven Mitts with Terrycloth Lining
These oven mitts from Big Red House are a great option that can serve a universal purpose in your home.
They are large enough to comfortably fit large hands but designed so that those with a small hand can comfortably use them as well.
- Heat resistant up to 480 degrees
- 12.5-inch total length
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
These oven mitts are made with the comfort of cotton and the protection of silicone. They have a terry cloth lining inside to add a comfortable layer of heat protection. These are comfortable and durable with great heat coverage as well.
The silicone strips allow you to comfortably grip any hot pan or bowl. These oven mitts are available in several different color options so you can choose which you prefer.
- Designed by a former cook who knows what qualities are needed in oven mitts
- Perfectly over-sized for large hands without being bulky for small hands
- An affordable option that offers the perfect mix between cotton and silicone
- Professional quality oven mitts at an affordable price point
- The silicone has a strong smell
- Tend to start falling apart much too quickly
We hope this guide has been informative and helpful to you as you look for the best oven mitts for large hands. We invite you to review the common question section below for further information.
What Size of Hand is Considered a Large Hand?
The average hand size of a female is about 6.8 inches. The average hand size of a male is about 7.6 inches. Most gloves or mitts are designed to accommodate hands up to 9 inches. However, if your hand is longer or wider than this, consider that you may fall into the large hand category.
Does It Matter If I Choose Fingered Gloves or Various Mitt Styles?
This is solely up to your mitt preference. There are mittens and then there are long mittens and double mittens. Additionally, there are fingered gloves. We recommend you choose which style you would prefer to wear and that will meet your heat-resistant needs.