Lemon Dump Cake
With a hot, delicious filling and a cake-like topping, this lemon dump cake is a lot like a cobbler but with so much less fuss!
Dessert does not get much easier than a dump cake. There is no need to accumulate a pile of dishes and create a mess in the kitchen.
True to its name, the dump cake is all about dumping all the ingredients into a baking dish and popping it in the oven!
I did use some bowls to make the pictures look prettier for you guys, but truth be told, I just normally throw it all in one pan.
Dump cake can be made all year-round because the filling comes from either canned fruit or lemon custard.
Besides the lemon filling, this lemon dump cake has some cream cheese and a crispy crust made from yellow cake mix.
I know it may sound weird not to use batter, but I promise it totally works! As a final touch to get a nice and golden crust, you will need butter that will enrich the dump cake and make the crust just perfect.
How To Make A Perfect Cake
Quite often you will see recipes that call for melted butter to be drizzled over the top of the cake just before it goes in the oven.
Many dump cakes call for this, but in my experience, I’ve found out that thinly slicing cold butter and placing it on top of the cake mix works wonders!
It will melt evenly in the oven and create nice pockets of butter all over the cake, resulting in a perfectly moist cake without dry spots.
How To Make The Filling
The filling for the dump cake is super easy; you just have to mix lemon curd and condensed milk! If you do not have any lemon curd, you can make your own with just a few ingredients.
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 lemons, juiced and zested
- ¾ cup sugar
- 5 tbsp butter
- Set up a double boiler over medium heat.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a heat-proof bowl placed over the double boiler.
- Add lemon juice and zest and cook the egg yolks while whisking for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the butter and let the curd cool before use.
Lemon Dump Cake
Assemble your ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Whisk lemon curd and condensed milk in a bowl.
Smooth the top of the mixture and top with cream cheese.
Sprinkle the vanilla cake mix over the filling in an even layer.
Finally, arrange the sliced butter on top and bake the cake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and lemon filling is bubbling.
Serve cake warm or cold.
Lemon Dump Cake
This lemon dump cake is the perfect sweet treat to enjoy in the summertime!
For the filling
- 1 ¼ cup lemon curd
- 14 oz. condensed milk
- 1 cup cream cheese, crumbled
For the topping
- 14 oz. vanilla cake mix
- ½ cup butter, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Because I took photos and wanted all to look nice and neat, I whisked lemon curd and condensed milk in a bowl. The easiest way to mix these without the use of any bowl is by combining these thoroughly in a baking pan.
- Smooth the top of the mixture and top with cream cheese.
- Sprinkle the vanilla cake mix over the filling in an even layer. Finally, arrange the sliced butter on top and bake the cake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the lemon filling is bubbling.
- Serve cake warm or cold.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 642Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 620mgCarbohydrates: 84gFiber: 1gSugar: 66gProtein: 9g
Up Next: Brownie Mix Hacks