How To Toast Buns – The Best Way
If you toast your buns right, they will be crisp on the outside, but soft and warm on the inside. You can toast almost any type of bun, but you need to know the best way to get them perfectly toasted!
Some methods of toasting buns work better than others, so which is the best way to toast buns perfectly? There are a few options to choose from to toast buns, including broiling, grilling, using a toaster, or baking them. You will get the best results by broiling the buns in the oven, as you can warm them evenly, but still keep a soft inside and a deliciously crisp outside.
Here are all the different ways you can toast buns at home, and how to get the best results!
The Best Way To Toast Buns
Below are our favorite ways to get buns nice and toasty for topping with burgers, cheeses, and more!
Broiling buns to toast them is the best way to get it done. If done right, your buns will be perfectly toasted on the outside and slightly browned, but the inside will still be warm and soft.
Here is how to perfectly toast buns by broiling them:
- Set your oven or toaster oven on to broil and leave it to heat up fully. Use the highest broil setting if there are different options. Make sure to allow at least 10 mins before placing your buns inside the oven.
- Place the rack in the highest position, right under the broiler. If there are multiple rack positions, move it up to the top.
- Slice the buns in half before placing them in the oven. Place the buns with the cut surface facing up on the tray. This allows the cut side to become evenly toasted.
- Allow the buns to broil in the oven for 30 seconds until they turn golden brown. Make sure to keep an eye on the buns, as they are quite high on the rack and could burn quickly.
- You do have to wait for the oven to warm up, but once the buns are in the oven it only takes 30 seconds to a minute for the buns to have a beautiful brown and crisp exterior.
- It is also the best way to get a consistently well-toasted bun, with the inside being warm as well.
- Broiling the buns in the oven means you have to warm the oven up first. Warming the oven up to broil does not take too long, but you still have to wait around 10 minutes before you can put the buns in the oven.
- The other issue is that if you do not watch the buns, they can burn really quickly.
If you have a compact grill at home, it will give you an easy and quick way to toast your buns with little effort.
To grill buns at home, here is what to do:
- Slice the buns in half before grilling them.
- Place them face down on a pre-heated grill over direct heat. If you are using a flame grill, try to avoid any areas where there might large flames.
- Leave the buns to toast for up to a minute depending on how hot the grill is, until they are just charred.
- If you are grilling hamburger or hotdog buns, put them on the grill at the last minute so they will be ready when everything else it.
- Grilling is the best way to get that char-grilled toast on your buns, which is perfect when you are grilling up some hamburgers and hotdogs.
- It is also a fairly quick way to toast buns if the grill is already set up to be used.
- There is a good chance that you might burn the buns if you leave them on a flame grill too long. Even a few seconds is all it takes for the buns to burn instead of toast, so you need to keep a close eye on them.
- It is also only convenient to grill the buns if you have an electric grill already set up, or if the outside grill is flamed and ready.
Toasting Buns In The Toaster
To be able to toast buns in the toaster, you need to cut them in half first. Toasting a bun in the toaster is much the same as toasting bread in a toaster, so there is not much you need to change.
- Cut the buns into two halves to allow it to fit into the toaster properly.
- Remember that you cannot put olive oil or butter on the buns when you put them in the toaster as it will cause smoke and may be a burning hazard.
- Set the toaster to how much you want your buns toasted and let the buns toast for a whole cycle.
- It doesn’t matter which way you put the buns in the toaster as they will toast from both sides.
- Using a toaster is probably the least-effort method you could use to toast your buns at home.
- It gives a good even toasting on both sides of the bun, whereas other methods toast one side.
- Toasters all have different strengths, so you must be sure to watch the buns as they toast to ensure that you do not burn them.
- As the toaster will toast the buns on either side, there is a chance that the inside will not be as soft as it would be with other methods.
If you do not want to broil the buns in the oven, you can choose to bake them. You will have to preheat the oven though, which can take quite a bit of time.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Leave it to warm up.
- Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven to allow the buns to be baked and toasted evenly.
- Brush the buns with some butter or some olive oil to stop them from drying out in the oven.
- Leave the buns to bake for at least 5 minutes, or until they start to crisp.
- The oven allows you to evenly toast and bake the buns so they are warm throughout, without one side of the buns being overdone on one side.
- You might not be able to get crispy toasting on your buns if you bake them.
- You also need to wait quite a while for the oven to heat up before you can place the buns inside.
Should You butter buns before toasting?
You should put some butter or olive on your buns before toasting them to add some flavor. You can even sprinkle over a little salt as well.
Brushing butter or olive oil on the buns before broiling, baking, or grilling the buns helps them brown a little more and does give them a better flavor.
You should not butter or drizzle olive oil onto buns if you are putting them in the toaster as this could cause smoke and is potentially a fire risk.
Just wait for the buns to come out the toaster and butter them then.
Should you toast burger buns?
This really is up to personal preference, but toasting burger buns is a good idea as often the juice from the burger or the sauces can make the buns go soggy.
By toasting the buns, you prevent them from becoming too soggy and make the burgers easier to eat.
Can you toast brioche buns?
You can toast brioche buns, but it is a good idea to butter the buns before toasting them to prevent them from drying out.
By toasting the buns by broiling, they will have a crispy exterior and a beautifully soft inside, but still be warmed throughout.
Brioche buns also toast well in the oven when baked, so it depends how much toasting or crispiness you want when deciding between broiling or baking.
Should I toast hotdog buns?
You can toast hotdog buns by placing them in the oven to bake. You can slightly butter the hotdog bun before putting it in the oven, or just put it in whole to warm up throughout, with a slight crisp on the outside.
The Best Way To Toast Buns
If you enjoy a crispy exterior and soft, warm inside, then broiling your buns would be the best way to toast them to perfection.
The outside gets a wonderful golden brown color, and the inside warms through. However, you need to be careful not to leave the buns in to broil for too long as they could burn easily.
The other options to toast buns are to grill them, pop them in the toaster, or to bake them in the oven. All methods work well, so choose one which is most convenient for you!
Up Next: The Best Pans For Grilled Cheese
Thanks for the broil tip. Best way IMO to toast buns. Makes them look and taste just like fast food and or the restaurant.
I love buns that way as well! Thanks for the kind words 🙂
Thanks for the information I’m going to broil them