If you love crispy takeout chicken, then you will love this mess-free oven-baked alternative!
The secret to crispy, perfectly baked chicken is adding coated chicken to a baking dish that is already hot. This ensures that the chicken starts to cook immediately and helps create that crispy coating that we all love!
What Is Bisquick?
Bisquick is a simple premade baking mix. It is made with flour, fat, a leavening agent, and some salt.
Bisquick is traditionally used to make pancakes, waffles, muffins, and biscuits; however, Bisquick has so many other uses beyond this.
Real quick, if you are thinking of using a pancake mix instead of Bisquick, let me stop you right there. Traditional pancake mixes have sugar as a part of their makeup, and I’m sure you don’t want to be adding sugar to your fried chicken!
So for this recipe, definitely stick with the Bisquick. It creates an incredible crunchy crust without the sugar!
Can I Make Homemade Bisquick Mix?
If you’re unable to find Bisquick at your local grocery store or just forgot to buy some, here’s an easy recipe you can use to make your own Bisquick at home!
Here are the ingredients needed:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tbsp salt
- ½ cup vegetable shortening, cubed
To make it, simply add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a food processor. Process the mixture for 15 seconds before adding vegetable shortening and processing again until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
You can store the homemade Bisquick in a fridge for 3 months!
Tips And Tricks For The Best Fried Chicken
Before starting this recipe, here are a few tips to make sure you get your fried chicken just how you like it:
- Adjust your cooking time depending on the cut of chicken you have. For bone-in and skin-on chicken breasts, bake for 30 minutes, flip, and cook for 20 minutes more. You will do the same with the chicken legs. If you are using skinless and boneless chicken breasts, bake them for 20 minutes, flip, and bake for another 20 minutes. For chicken wings, bake them for 15 minutes, flip, and bake for another 15 minutes.
- If you are thinking about using any other type of fat instead of butter, I would recommend you stick with butter if your diet allows it. I’ve tried making the chicken with canola oil and bacon fat, but nothing beats butter!
- If you want your Bisquick to stick a little better to the chicken, dip the chicken into a beaten egg before breading. I personally like to dip the chicken into beaten egg whites as this gives the chicken a crispy, fluffy coating.
- Remove the chicken from the baking pan right after baking. Do not let them sit in the butter or they will become soggy.
How To Add More Flavor
Bisquick is really good for coating, but its flavor is pretty neutral. If you want to kick things up a notch, here are some spices and seasonings you can add to achieve your desired chicken flavor:
- Spicy chicken: paprika, garlic, chili powder, and some salt and pepper
- Smoky chicken: smoked paprika, garlic, salt, and the desired amount of pepper
- KFC chicken: KFC wedges seasoning mix and Bisquick
- Lemon-garlic chicken: lemon pepper, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
How To Make Fried Chicken With Bisquick
Assemble your ingredients.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Add butter to a baking dish and place it into the oven.
In a mixing bowl, combine Bisquick with paprika, salt, and pepper.
Coat the chicken with the Bisquick mixture.
Place the chicken into the hot butter, and bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
Flip the chicken and bake for another 15 minutes. To check the doneness, poke the chicken with a knife. If the juices oozing out are no longer pink, the chicken is baked.
Remove the chicken from the baking pan and serve!
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup Bisquick
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1.5lb. chicken leg or desired part, skinless
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Add butter to a baking dish and place it into the oven.
- In a mixing bowl, combine Bisquick with paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Coat the chicken with the Bisquick mixture.
- Place the chicken into the hot butter, and bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and bake for another 15 minutes. To check the doneness, poke the chicken with a knife. If the juices oozing out are no longer pink, the chicken is baked.
- Remove the chicken from the baking pan and serve!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 224mgSodium: 26mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 41g
Up Next: Chili Meat Vs Ground Beef