Crawfish is one of the most popular freshwater crustaceans when it comes to seafood. It has a lot of other names, besides crawfish, like crayfish, freshwater lobster, yabbies, and many more.
It depends on what you want to refer to it as. However, what does not change is its deliciousness and high nutritional value!
But everything comes with some pros and cons. The bad thing about these crustaceans is that they turn bad quickly after they die.
So, you must take steps to store them properly. Now, one of the most suggested techniques to store any food is freezing.
So, can you freeze crawfish? Yes! You can freeze crawfish. To freeze uncooked crawfish, separate any already dead crawfish from the pile, remove the tails from the crawfish, rinse under water, and wrap them in freezer paper. Then, place the tails in a freezer bag, where the crawfish will keep for up to 5 months.
We’ve compiled a list of all the ways you can freeze crawfish below, so read on to check out all of the different methods!
Is It Possible to Freeze Crawfish?
You can store crawfish in the freezer because they have a unique type of texture that helps to store them for 3-5 months. Moreover, you can also choose which part to freeze, the entire fish or just the tail.
Usually when you cook crawfish you cook a lot of them, and so it is highly probable that you’ll always have a bit left over after a meal. So, we recommend that you freeze them as soon as you finish eating.
How To Freeze Crawfish
When freezing crawfish, it’s important to make sure you’re getting the freshest crawfish possible. If you find a crawfish that has died (you can usually tell by its tail sticking straight out), then discard them.
Cooking wasn’t the cause of this crawfish’s death and so its meat is probably spoiled and not good to eat.
We’ve listed down the steps below about how should you freeze crawfish.
Freezing Uncooked Crawfish
- First, take a large container with water and place the crawfish in it. Then, let it sit for 1 hour.
- Next, you need to check for any dead crawfish. If you find any, remove them immediately.
- Now, take the fresh ones and separate the tail right from the body. Then, you can place the tail in a colander and rinse it for about 20 seconds.
- During this step, you need to dip the tail in lemon juice diluted with a bit of water. Doing this will help preserve the color.
- Next, take the tail and wrap it with freezer paper. Repeat the same with the other tails.
- Put these wrapped tails in a heavy-duty freezer bag. Make sure that you leave 1 inch of space at the top.
- Remember to date the bag. Finally, put it in the freezer.
Freezing Cooked Crawfish
- To freeze a cooked crawfish, you need to first check and find those that have a straight tail. This shows that the crawfish’s meat has turned bad.
- Discard the crawfish with a straight tail and move on with the fresh ones.
- Then, put the crawfish in a colander and let them dry for around 10-20 minutes.
- Finally, put the crawfish in a freezing bag and then inside the freezer.
How Long Can You Leave Crawfish In The Freezer?
How long crawfish can last when stored in the freezer does vary whether you’re freezing a cooked one or an uncooked one.
Cooked crawfish stays fresh for about 3 months in the freezer. Even after that, they’re safe to eat but the quality will start to deteriorate. The longer you leave them in the freezer, the more they’re going to turn bland.
The maximum time for uncooked crawfish in the freezer is about 3 months. But, if you store them in vacuum-sealed bags, they will stay fresh for about 4-5 months in the freezer.
Now that we’ve gone over how to freeze crawfish, let’s take a look at a few related questions on the subject!
Why do crawfish turn black?
Crawfish tend to lose their color as they age. An older crawfish (which is still perfectly edible) will have a black shell that is a bit tougher and harder to peel.
How long does crawfish last in the fridge?
Crawfish lasts for about 4 days depending on how you’ve stored it. The best way to store crawfish in the fridge is in airtight containers to preserve their color and flavor.
Can you microwave crawfish?
Yes! You can microwave crawfish. To microwave, you just need to make sure that you cover it adequately with a cloth and cook for 4-5 minutes.
Up Next: What Does Rainbow Trout Taste Like?