Mmmm, applesauce – a flavorful and nutritious snack! Have you tried making your own applesauce yet?
When you purchase applesauce from the store, you run the risk of unknown ingredients as well as added sugar. But when you make your own applesauce with a food mill, you get a delicious treat that you know is fresh and has only what you choose in it!
If you’re not familiar with the food mill, it’s a handy kitchen tool that is used to grinding or pureeing food items. It’s a great option for making your own sauces and soups and can even be used for mashed potatoes. The food mill works for many different options and can be used with hot or cold food.
By now, I am sure you are asking, ‘how can you make your own applesauce with a food mill?’ It’s really quite simple and there are a number of recipes with various methods. But, if you’re going to start making your own applesauce, you will need the best food mill to do so.
Choosing the best of anything can be so challenging. You spend hours reading reviews and searching websites for the best option and then still struggle to know which is best. We’re here to help!
We’ve done the research and chosen the 5 best food mills for making applesauce! Keep reading to get one step closer to choosing your food mill.
5 Perfect Food Mills for Applesauce
Here are 5 of the very best food mills on the market which would be perfect for making applesauce (or a delicious applesauce crumble) at home:
|1.||OXO Good Grips Food Mill||3 grinding discs, non-slip legs, 2.3 quart capacity|
|2.||Winware Stainless Steel Mill||3 grinding discs, versatile, 2 quart capacity|
|3.||RSVP Endurance Stainless Steel Food Mill||3 grinding discs, easy to clean, 2 quart capacity|
|4.||Mirro 50024 Foley Stainless Steel Food Mill||Easy to turn, stainless steel, 2 quart capacity|
|5.||Cuisipro Deluxe Food Mill||3 grinding discs, large turning knob, 2 quart capacity|
Let’s take a look at each more closely, shall we?
1. OXO Good Grips Food Mill
If you want a versatile option that works great with anything you might put in it, look no further. This food mill is our top pick overall because it offers many options and works quite well, without breaking the budget.
- Stainless steel bowl
- 3 grinding discs for various textures
- Non-slip legs for securing to bowls or pots
The OXO food mill looks great, works great, and condenses for easy storage. The OXO comes with 3 discs and 2 of those would work great for applesauce, depending on whether you like to have chunks.
Use the fine or medium disc to puree your apples and make yourself that sweet treat. There is no need to even peel your apples with this simple to use a food mill. The design of this food mill allows you to attach it to the top of a bowl or pan with legs that are secure so that the mill will not wiggle or fall into your bowl as you work.
This food mill is so well made that you won’t stop at making applesauce. You might find yourself trying your hand at soups, preserves, and other ground fruits or veggies. This mill works well with hot or cold foods and is specifically designed to be comfortable and simple to use.
- Versatile discs to accommodate your consistency preferences
- Stainless steel bowl works for hot or cold and does not stain
- Spring-loaded lever for easy disc changing
- When used on potatoes, you must work slowly and feed the potatoes one at a time
- A slight gap between disc and blade, leaving some pulp.
2. Winware Stainless Steel Mill
If you’re looking for the ultra-durable, sturdy design, check out this stainless-steel vegetable mill. This mill designed with superior stainless steel, from the handle to the bowl to the discs. But wait, there’s more! This stainless-steel mill is also dishwasher safe.
- Dual blades that mill quickly and efficiently
- 4 discs to suit your consistency needs
- Handle feature for resting on top of bowls or pans
The Winware Stainless Steel Mill is very easy to use as well as simple to assemble and disassemble. The added bonus of a 4th disc to incorporate an extra size makes this a versatile option.
Despite the stainless-steel design, this is an affordable mill. Winco has a background in manufacturing quality products for both restaurants and chefs. The goal of their products is to enhance the experience and allow the user to work quickly and efficiently.
Your applesauce will be ready in record timing when you place your full apple into this mill. There is no need to peel your apple or remove core or seeds, as the mill is designed to separate those for you from your sauce. Rest this mill easily on top of your bill and there are no worries about stability.
- Dishwasher safe stainless-steel design
- Disc options ranging from 2 mm to 8 mm
- Retains seeds, cores, and fibers, preventing them from ending up in your sauce
- The food must be placed just right so the 2 blades effectively puree
- The stability crossbar can seem like it’s in your way
3. RSVP Endurance Stainless Steel Food Mill
Give your applesauce creation joy with this perfect kitchen food mill. The RSVP Endurance Stainless Steel Food Mill is both versatile and durable. You can make anything your heart desires with this quality kitchen gadget.
- 18/8 non-reactive stainless steel
- 3 interchangeable discs for fine, medium, or coarse
- 8-inch diameter with a 4-inch deep bowl and a 7 ½ inch handle
You will feel like a gourmet chef when you start using this stainless-steel food mill to make your applesauce – or any other food combination! This food mill is so simple to use and delivers quality puree to whatever food you use it on.
The RSVP Endurance is affordable and versatile and will help you make that delicious applesauce in no time! The food mill has a long handle so that you can easily rest the mill on a pot or bowl as you work through your fruit or veggies.
You’ll find yourself putting your culinary skills to the test once you’ve discovered how simple and efficient this food mill works. It is recommended that you wash this food mill by hand to give it a long life of the mill, but the discs are dishwasher safe.
- Wood covered handle that is long for stability
- Simple to assemble and disassemble for use
- Design that leaves little pulp behind
- May require a deep bowl or pan
- Only the discs are dishwasher safe
4. Mirro 50024 Foley Stainless Steel Food Mill
If making sauces is your primary goal in your food mill, the Mirro is your winner.
The Mirro 50024 Foley Stainless Steel food mill is excellent for pureeing apples and tomatoes for sauces. This food mill works well for other uses as well but was made with saucing in mind.
- Stainless steel lightweight design
- 1 size disc option
- 2-quart capacity bowl
This food mill is made entirely of shiny silver steel. This design gives the tool a classic appeal that many look for in their gadgets. This is a thin material steel that is durable and lightweight. Mirro provides an extensive history of quality cookware items.
This food mill is not as high quality as the other food mills mentioned, but it is simple to use and is noted for being an excellent option for sauces. You will be thrilled with the way your applesauce turns out when you put this pretty little tool to use in your kitchen.
The bowl has a decent capacity, allowing you to do a lot of work without having to refill your bowl multiple times. This food mill works best when paired with a spatula to help work the foods through.
- Designed specifically for sauces
- Stainless steel, lightweight design
- Affordable option with few variables
- Takes work to crank the handle for milling
- Space between the blade and disc leave a lot of extra pulp unmilled
5. Cuisipro Deluxe Food Mill
Find the top of the line deluxe food mill in this Cuisipro Deluxe. This is a luxury designed kitchen tool made to perform and last. This food mill is so easy to use and will puree any item to your desired consistency.
- 3 interchangeable disc sizes
- Large knob to turn the blade easily
- Non-slip handles on the bowl
Your applesauce will be delightful and can be created at whatever texture you prefer with the 3 interchangeable disc options this food mill provides. This food mill turns so easily, you will be impressed at how quickly you work through your fruits and vegetables.
This food mill is made of high-quality steel and is a delightful addition to your kitchen. This is a pricier model, but the quality of the product makes it well worth the splurge. This brand even supplies a 25-year warranty so you know your food mill is made to last.
- 18/10 stainless steel design
- A built-in scraper that helps push your food through with little waste
- Versatile in capabilities
- The handle set-up makes the bowl slightly less stable when in use
- The scraper is not as high quality as the rest of the product and breaks easily
We hope that the information we have provided here on the 5 best food mills for applesauce has been helpful to you. Take a look at our FAQ section if you have any further questions on choosing a food mill.
What Disc Size Do I Need for Applesauce?
The disc size you use can be based on your preferences of whether you prefer smooth or chunky applesauce. If you prefer no chunks, use the finest disc available which is often close to 2mm.
Is Bowl Capacity Important?
Typically, you will set your food mill on top of or inside a bowl or pot. You want to select a food mill that will hold your fruit or vegetable without it having to be cut, but you don’t need to worry about holding the pureed food within the mill.