Biscuits Without Milk
Biscuits are an amazing way to start the day. I used to buy them at the bakery, but then I decided it was time to make my own.
These melt-in-your-mouth, no milk biscuits are super tender and light, and you will be glad to know that these only take 30 minutes to make.
Some believe biscuits require a lot of effort and time to make, but did you know there are biscuit recipes that require no special ingredients, not even milk?
What To Use Instead Of Milk
As simple as can be – plain water. Yes, you read it right, the plain water. Believe it or not, it does the trick and makes the dough soft. The final result is perfect biscuits!
If you are trying to make completely dairy-free biscuits, you can use oil instead of butter. It will not affect the flakiness of the biscuits or their final appearance.
How Do No Milk Biscuits Taste?
People are normally drawn to biscuits because of their milky and buttery flavors, so what will happen if you omit the milk? Truthfully, you will not realize you have used plain water instead of milk in this recipe.
These biscuits do contain butter, so they still have that delicious buttery flavor, but they are just a bit less fluffy than biscuits made with milk.
Still, it is perfectly okay as when you realize you have an insanely easy recipe in front of you, then I can say they are pretty darn fantastic.
Because these biscuits do not have any milk, they are easier to make.
You do not have to whisk ingredients into separate bowls, and you can forget about infinite kneading. A simple 1-minute knead is enough, just so you get a smooth dough.
Afterwards you can roll these out and cut using a cookie cutter.
Special Baking Tips For Biscuits Without Milk
- As these lack milk, make sure you are using quality baking powder and butter or oil. Make sure you’re using fresh baking powder (yes, it does expire and lose its power over time!)
- Before you do any mixing, make sure you sift the flour. This way you will avoid any lumps.
- Do not over mix or over knead – this is another important rule to follow. As you already know, the flour has gluten in it. This protein is in charge for the dough elasticity, but when you over mix or over knead, you will end up with something looking like a rubber. The end result is tough and dense biscuits.
- If you want biscuits with golden brown top, make sure you brush them with some melted butter.
Additional Substitutions and Additions
- Instead of butter, as mentioned you can use oil in the same quantity. Vegan butter, margarine, olive oil, or vegetable oil are good options.
- Instead of plain flour, you can use whole wheat flour. It is a lot healthier and will give you an amazing taste.
- You can add desired herbs into the dough. The herbs will make the biscuits smell and taste better. You can use basil, oregano, or even thyme. Consider adding some garlic powder or chives as well.
- You can add cheese because cheese makes everything better. Add grated Gruyere, Edam, or Cheddar into the dough, or sprinkle the biscuits with the cheese in the last 5 minutes of baking.
How To Make Biscuits Without Milk
Gather your ingredients.
Preheat oven to 450F.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
Stir until the dough comes together.
Knead the dough and roll to ½-inch thick
Cut the biscuits with a cookie cutter or desired cutter.
Arrange on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.
Bake the biscuits for 15 minutes.
Serve at room temperature.
Biscuits Without Milk
These no milk biscuits are so flaky and delicious!
- 3 cups plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp cold butter (or oil if dairy-free)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2/3 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough and roll to ½-inch thick
- Cut the biscuits with a cookie cutter or desired cutter.
- Arrange on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the biscuits for 15 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 biscuits
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 531mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 7g
Up Next: Biscuits Without Butter