Garlic, if you like it, can elevate the flavor of almost any savory meal. Fresh garlic is much more satisfying than garlic powder but it can be messy and tedious. A garlic press can make mincing garlic exponentially easier, giving you all the flavor with only a fraction of the effort.
So what is the best stainless steel garlic press? A good garlic press will be able to cut through garlic easily so that no juice is lost, which makes MANNKITCHEN’s stainless steel garlic press the best choice. Thanks to the compound lever, you can apply double the force with minimal effort, so you get perfectly minced garlic with each use.
We’ll explain why we’ve chosen these are our top 3 choices in the following article, as well as offer a few added details about the art of pressing garlic.
What Is A Garlic Press?
A garlic press, sometimes also referred to as a garlic crusher, is a hand-held kitchen device designed to mechanically mince or crush garlic by forcing a clove through a grid.
Because the clove is crushed in the same movement of being minced, many professional chefs agree that the flavor is stronger and more pleasing than if you were to mince your garlic with a knife.
Other chefs argue against the garlic press. If it’s not used properly, the garlic juice can be lost, garlic can be wasted and the process might actually be more strenuous than chopping if you are extremely skilled with a knife.
Most home chefs agree that it’s much easier to use a press if you have the right one.
The 5 Best Stainless Steel Garlic Presses
Below are our top picks for the best stainless steel garlic presses.
|Rank||Best Feature||Find on Amazon|
|1||Easy to clean||MANNKITCHEN Stainless Steel Garlic Press|
|2||Extra garlic peeler||Orblue Premium Garlic Press|
|3||Soft, non-slip handle||OXO Good Grips Garlic Press|
|4||No grip strength required||Vantic Garlic Press Rocker|
|5||Weighted handles||Rösle Stainless Steel Garlic Press|
1. MANNKITCHEN Stainless Steel Garlic Press
Our top pick is the MANNKITCHEN garlic press that has been specially designed to accomodate both commercial and home kitchens.
Whether you’re a professional chef or dedicated home cook, this garlic press will make mincing garlic so much more enjoyable.
The unique design features a compound lever which means you can exert more than double the force with the same amount of effort.
The pressure plate swings out so you never have to dig garlic residue out of a little cup with your fingernails. Compared to other garlic presses on the market, this one is easier to press and easier to clean.
The pressure exerted intensifies the garlic flavor by bursting more vacuoles allowing more Allicin to form.
- Extra-wide ergonomic handles – these features make this the most comfortable and easy-to-use garlic press on the market
- Easy to clean & dishwasher safe – simply flip the press open and run it under hot water for a few seconds immediately after using
- High garlic capacity – you can press more than one garlic clove at once which saves time and effort
Biggest Drawback: Although MANNKITCHEN is a U.S. company, they do manufacture their garlic presses in China, which can be a drawback if you prefer to purchase products manufactured in the U.S. If this doesn’t bother you, then we highly recommend making the investment. You won’t be disappointed. Even if you are, they offer a lifetime warranty on any defective products, so you don’t have to worry about losing money.
2. Orblue Premium Garlic Press
Nothing says “trust me” quite like a lifetime guarantee like the one this garlic press comes with.
If a company is willing to stand behind their product for life, that’s a pretty good indication that they don’t have a lot of returns or complaints.
If you happened to be in the minority that does have an issue pop up, you can rest assured that it will be replaced or you’ll get your money back.
- Dishwasher safe – saving you from the most frustrating part of garlic press ownership, the cleanup
- Professional grade – made from stainless steel that is very durable and well designed for both comfort and long-term use
- Additional peeler – Comes with a garlic peeler saving you even more time, energy, and stress
Biggest Drawback: Even though it says in the marketing graphics that you can use unpeeled garlic, you should peel your garlic before using the press or risk having some of the papery peelings intrude into your minced garlic. They do provide a handy and surprisingly efficient garlic peeler with the press though!
3. OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Garlic Press
One of the biggest drawbacks of traditional garlic presses is the handles. They’re hard and pressing with the strength required to crush garlic can leave your hand feeling bruised and battered.
OXO Good Grips products are always a comfortable, ergonomic shape with a soft, non-slip, and safe grip that we love.
- Comfortable – the grip is soft, non-slip and doesn’t bruise your hands
- Large reservoir – if you have the grip strength, you can press more than one clove of garlic at a time or use this press on an extra-large clove
- Reverse press – the handle is designed to swing both ways so that, after pressing the garlic, you can reverse direction to get every once of minced garlic out of your press, wasting not a spec
Biggest Drawback: Because of the hinge, the press will likely eventually break, but it should last a good few years because it’s made from sturdy material. If you crush garlic more than a few times a year, you’ll certainly get your money’s worth.
4. Vantic Stainless Steel Garlic Press Rocker
As we previously mentioned, the handles on garlic presses can be a deterrent to using them, but this innovative design doesn’t even require any grip strength.
You press and rock against a cutting board, rather than using a vice-like piece of equipment.
- Quick and easy garlic crushing that creates little to no wasted garlic
- Premium-grade materials – stainless steel grate that won’t rust and soft, non-slip silicone handle
- Appropriate for cooks with small hands and/or compromised grip strength
Biggest Drawback: Although it doesn’t require as much grip strength to press the garlic, it does still require a bit of brute strength to crush the garlic against your chopping block. We also recommend using a silicone mat to catch the garlic juice that will inevitably be squished out in the process of crushing the cloves.
5. Rösle Stainless Steel Garlic Press
Rösle offers a 9-inch garlic press, making it a heavy duty garlic press ready to mince multiple cloves at a time.
Unlike the other garlic presses on this list, this is the only garlic press that uses weighted handles. The additional weight acts as additional leverage, so you don’t have to press as hard to get results.
The scraping blade helps every morsel of precious garlic escape the press and land nicely on your cutting board. No more wasted garlic!
- Weighted handles – helps provide additional leverage for easy mincing
- Fold-out sieve – for easy cleaning
- Spacious loading chamber – mince multiple cloves (peeled or unpeeled) at a time
Biggest Drawback: Even with the weighted handles, this garlic press can be difficult to use for those with small hands or compromised grip strength. If you are already confident in your garlic squeezing abilities, then this heavy-duty garlic press is great. If not, you may want to check out the other garlic presses on this list.
Up Next: Can You Freeze Peeled Garlic?